Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by icantdance »

2good2hurry wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:42 pm On our list at the moment are GSA, Mountview, ArtsEd, Italia Conti, Emil Dale and Trinity Laban. We've discounted some because they seem to be more dance focussed courses (Urdang, performers, Laine etc). DD is a singer who can dance rather than the other way round Not sure about WIlke's - think that is more dance focussed too. So much to get to grips with. If i've missed any, please do let me know :D
DS has done a spreadsheet and identified 7 he is going for- but he has a dance focus so Bird, Laine, Urdang, Italia Conti, Performers, Masters and Mountview. He's a dancer first and singer second rather than an actor but Mountview has a lot of successful students, although I think it's not right for him but we'll see. His spreadsheet has got all of the audition criteria on for each of the colleges, so he's on top of things!! I think your DD will be looking at different ones to my DS. I think Wilkes is more dance focused too but only because DS knew someone who went there on a scholarship 2 years ago and he was definitely a dancer!!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

icantdance wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:20 am
2good2hurry wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:42 pm On our list at the moment are GSA, Mountview, ArtsEd, Italia Conti, Emil Dale and Trinity Laban. We've discounted some because they seem to be more dance focussed courses (Urdang, performers, Laine etc). DD is a singer who can dance rather than the other way round Not sure about WIlke's - think that is more dance focussed too. So much to get to grips with. If i've missed any, please do let me know :D
DS has done a spreadsheet and identified 7 he is going for- but he has a dance focus so Bird, Laine, Urdang, Italia Conti, Performers, Masters and Mountview. He's a dancer first and singer second rather than an actor but Mountview has a lot of successful students, although I think it's not right for him but we'll see. His spreadsheet has got all of the audition criteria on for each of the colleges, so he's on top of things!! I think your DD will be looking at different ones to my DS. I think Wilkes is more dance focused too but only because DS knew someone who went there on a scholarship 2 years ago and he was definitely a dancer!!
Wilkes is quite dance based, commercial in particular and they have some amazing tutors, Ricky Jinks is a regular tutor there. Dd starts there on the degree in a couple of weeks, was impressed with the ‘feel’ there and also all the extra lessons they offer that a lot of colleges don’t so definitely worth considering. Dd did pre-voc at Performers and can confirm that they definitely like their boys, they get opportunities given to them way ahead of the girls so he’d do well there too.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

I don't think Performers is exclusive at giving boys more opportunities than girls - my daughter has 4 friends in different colleges, Laine, Bird, Urdang and Wilkes and they all in their 1st year have been given chances at different things when girls haven't so go where he feels right for him.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Tess50 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:00 pm I don't think Performers is exclusive at giving boys more opportunities than girls - my daughter has 4 friends in different colleges, Laine, Bird, Urdang and Wilkes and they all in their 1st year have been given chances at different things when girls haven't so go where he feels right for him.
He will!! I suspect that he won't be right for them though ..... but he's been down this path before, last year, and in the end decided to stay and do A levels as he felt he wasn't ready to leave home, so he will be able to work out the right place (hopefully). Not a great decision maker though!!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Hi, does anybody know what format the auditions are taking this year? I think a lot of them were sending in audition tapes last year but any idea if they are still doing this or whether they'll be having face to face auditions?
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

icantdance wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:54 am Hi, does anybody know what format the auditions are taking this year? I think a lot of them were sending in audition tapes last year but any idea if they are still doing this or whether they'll be having face to face auditions?
Your ds sounds very focus and organized with his spreadsheets to sort out where he would like to audition . I don’t think colleges have really said what format the auditions will take but I think that they will start later than normal . Don’t be discouraged if the auditions are online . My dd did 4 online auditions and got offers for 3 of them . If space is tight , see if you can hire a dance studio . All the colleges had different requirements but he might be able to use the same videos for some of them . Best of luck to your ds and all auditioning .
My dd was just saying the other day that she didn’t find the process half as stressful as she expected it to be . The staff at all her in person auditions were lovely
Dancermum70
Nominee

Post by Dancermum70 »

Just seen a post on Instagram saying Emil Dale have got face to face auditions available to book on their website.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I suspect auditions will start later than usual for 2021 entry. I know that a number of vocational ballet schools put out a joint statement a month or so ago to say that they had all agreed to start the audition process in January (rather than the usual November) - included ENB, The Hammond, Tring, Central , Rambert - can't remember all of them but some offer musical theatre courses as well as ballet/dance . I imagine other performing arts colleges are thinking along similar lines
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Mountview are doing a 2 stage process. Stage 1 is sending in audition tapes and then if you get through to the 2nd audition then that is in person. They are only charging £20 for the first stage and are saying it's to save people travelling to London unnecessarily. Actually I think that's quite a good idea, especially given all the restrictions. If you are called for a face to face audition then you pay the other £25.
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Urdang have announced that their auditions will now be by video submission for 2021 entry.
musicalmummy123
Nominee

Post by musicalmummy123 »

DS has had meeting with principals of the college about auditions and final list is ArtsEd, Bird, Italia Conti, Mountview, Performers, PPA and Urdang. Personal statement done. Very exciting!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Hi all - Couple of 2021 application questions we're hoping someone can help with!
1) We are having problems when clicking on the Laine Apply Now Button - says something about Debug. Does anyone know if their applications are live? Is it just us having problems?
2) Photo requirements. We can find the Bird photo requirements clearly because you can download a hard copy of the application form. We can see reference to "headshot and arabesque pose" for Urdang but not more details and nothing for Laine or Perfomers. I think students probably have to complete the application forms to see the details. Does anyone know? Or know what was required last year? DD is getting some snaps done tomorrow before she breaks up for half term so would be great to know!
3) Audition fees. If you apply for both Diploma and Degree at the same college am I right in thinking you only pay one audition fee (if there is a charge)?
Thank you to anyone who can help!
The journey commences... :D
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Hi, I can answer the question about fees - yes, it's only one fee as the fee is for the audition and it's only one audition. I'll have to ask DS about the other bits - he's rather independent so we can't touch his applications. He's doing them himself!!!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Many thanks forthe confirmation about fees. We were only looking at the application format to see what photos were needed. But you would have to start completing the forms to get the info needed. DD certainly won't let me anywhere near her application forms once she starts!
I believe she's now got her list down to 9 - at least she won't need to pay hotel fees if everything is online!
DD now at home on Zoom due to possible Covid cases in her year group. Think this will go on all year :(
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:07 pm Many thanks forthe confirmation about fees. We were only looking at the application format to see what photos were needed. But you would have to start completing the forms to get the info needed. DD certainly won't let me anywhere near her application forms once she starts!
I believe she's now got her list down to 9 - at least she won't need to pay hotel fees if everything is online!
DD now at home on Zoom due to possible Covid cases in her year group. Think this will go on all year :(
Further info from DS - Laine is only a headshot and he has no idea why you're getting a debug message!! DS has his list down to 6 or 7 (but 7 is his maximum) - many of which are the same as your DD. I think he's awaiting photos now. At the moment, Laine and Performers are face to face, Bird and Urdang are video auditions but that can all change of course!! DS has been self-isolating for 2 weeks so needs to get back into his dance before he auditions. He can't wait to get back to school and only came out of self-isolation this morning - I think it was pretty much the whole year group and they had double figures of confirmed cases in the end! Selfishly, video auditions are great for us - no travelling - but I think face to face are probably better for them. Who knows what will happen now ......