Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Dancemum1973 »

musicalmummy123 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:09 pm Good news to end of the year! DS has been offered a place at Bird!
Great news. My dd is at Bird 1st year and loving it.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

musicalmummy123 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:09 pm Good news to end of the year! DS has been offered a place at Bird!
Fab news!! Congratulations, you must be thrilled (and so must your DS)!! DS's audition is on Monday so fingers crossed ....
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

I seen a post online that Emildale have auditioned 3000 already - surely that can't be right - the stage school were posting that one of their students got accepted and out of 3000 was honoured to get one of their 43 spots - it was questioned and they are saying no 3000 was right - I truly doubt they would have auditioned that many even in a year ?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Could be that across all the different courses they run they’ve had that many video submissions.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Even at that I think 3000 would be excessive as they only take in around 140 aross the 3 courses - anyways it's great for her just thought that very strange
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

EDA have had several face to face audition days already - starting in September - and everyone can apply online. It may well be 3000 across their three courses (BTEC, Gap Year and Degree) especially given a least two of DD's chosen colleges have said they're expecting 2000 to 3000 applicants this year for their BA Hons courses and 3000 to 4000 has been the normal number of applicants for EDA previously. (Not sure if applying actually equates with auditioning though!) Any one who gets into EDA has done well - the standard is high and DD is benefiting so much from their BTEC course at present despite Covid.
However the sheer numbers of applicants submitting so much material to all these colleges makes me sceptical that the material can be watched. Simply not enough hours in the day.
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

Tess50 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:20 pm I seen a post online that Emildale have auditioned 3000 already - surely that can't be right - the stage school were posting that one of their students got accepted and out of 3000 was honoured to get one of their 43 spots - it was questioned and they are saying no 3000 was right - I truly doubt they would have auditioned that many even in a year ?
Emildale auditioned 5,000 last year . My dd got a place after being on a waiting list for a few weeks . I think they said they had around 50 places . They mentioned in the email that they cast by type ( hair colour etc). I always thought that this was some kind of myth . My dd didn’t take the place . I personally think that it’s ridiculous to audition so many for so few places . It’s just a money making thing I imagine .
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

Just double checked the email from EDA. It says that they auditioned 4,000 for 43 places on their gap year/ 6th form courses and 48 for degree course. My dd sent in a video audition in April I think so they obviously look at them anyway.
Louisedunn
BRIT Award

Post by Louisedunn »

Gosh, 5,000 is a lot! I do hear this every year and despite my dd being in the 6th form there, I am a little skeptical of these numbers. But they have such a prominent sm presence - they make it look incredibly attractive, I can see why lots would apply. Dd has had her face to face audition cancelled twice now tho. I can see her having to do a video audition! Very frustrating.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I do know quite a lot of people who auditioned as a back-up or just to see what it was like.
Louisedunn
BRIT Award

Post by Louisedunn »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:46 pm I do know quite a lot of people who auditioned as a back-up or just to see what it was like.
Shame that it’s seen as a back up! But not in London so can see why.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Might be considered a back up for those whose hearts are set on Mountview or Arts Ed possibly. And the EDA application process does appear a lot simpler than some other colleges. But others may have it as a top choice. DD chose EDA over Arts Ed 6th Form (a relief as we would have been broke - not that we aren't anyway now!).
My DD has also had her EDA audition cancelled twice - really hoping for a face to face one but do think the college might be a little too optimistic about arranging these! I expect it will be online in the end. Very difficult to judge if a college is a good choice at the moment with little up to date info to go on. Just have to apply, submit tapes and then wait...
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Louisedunn wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:02 pm
islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:46 pm I do know quite a lot of people who auditioned as a back-up or just to see what it was like.
I know some who chose ArtsEd , MV and Hammond as back ups, let's face it , if you are auditioning at 5 /6/7 drama schools they are all back ups.

Not being in London doesn't really have much to do with it ,it doesn't stop excellent training.
My DD who did 6th form at EDA was asked at the Laine and GSA dance part of her auditions where was she was currently training. She was offered places at both plus ArtsEd.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:28 pm Might be considered a back up for those whose hearts are set on Mountview or Arts Ed possibly. And the EDA application process does appear a lot simpler than some other colleges. But others may have it as a top choice. DD chose EDA over Arts Ed 6th Form (a relief as we would have been broke - not that we aren't anyway now!).
My DD has also had her EDA audition cancelled twice - really hoping for a face to face one but do think the college might be a little too optimistic about arranging these! I expect it will be online in the end. Very difficult to judge if a college is a good choice at the moment with little up to date info to go on. Just have to apply, submit tapes and then wait...
DS has had his first Laine audition cancelled and moved to Feb with the optimistic idea of doing them face to face. Mountview were doing the first audition online then recalls in person. DS's audition is next Monday. Does anybody know if they are trying to recall in person (just in case!!). Also, are colleges using email or post generally to let people know?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

lotsolaffs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:23 am
Louisedunn wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:02 pm
I know some who chose ArtsEd , MV and Hammond as back ups, let's face it , if you are auditioning at 5 /6/7 drama schools they are all back ups.

Not being in London doesn't really have much to do with it ,it doesn't stop excellent training.
My DD who did 6th form at EDA was asked at the Laine and GSA dance part of her auditions where was she was currently training. She was offered places at both plus ArtsEd.
When I said back up I meant that the young people were auditioning mostly for Level 6 diploma courses but had one or two Level 3 Btec course places as back up.