Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Gibbo68
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Gibbo68 »

icantdance wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 pm So DS is having a panic. He's got his offer from Bird on which they want a decision by this Friday and his other auditions are after that date. His dad (who is not on this site and I don't live with) has told him that if he accepts Bird then he can't go anywhere else. I'm led to believe from everybody on here that that is not the case and he could then withdraw his acceptance further down the line if he gets a "better" offer. Can anybody shed any light on the poor boy's conundrum. For all his talents, decision making is not one of them!!!
Congrats on the early offer! This was us last year. DD accepted Bird but subsequently withdrew as soon as she received an offer from her preferred college. No deposit was required.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Interested reading about securing offers as we are wondering the same. Urdang want £100 and DD is only at the beginning of this audition process. We've decided to pay as, although it is not DD's first choice, it's a great backup for her and she would be very happy to go there if her higher choices don't give her an offer. Not sure how it works with UCAS but we are assuming you can accept mutliple offers and decide later...
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

amo185 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:13 pm Interested reading about securing offers as we are wondering the same. Urdang want £100 and DD is only at the beginning of this audition process. We've decided to pay as, although it is not DD's first choice, it's a great backup for her and she would be very happy to go there if her higher choices don't give her an offer. Not sure how it works with UCAS but we are assuming you can accept mutliple offers and decide later...
I think it’s another way for them to make a bit of money. Second daughter who has always wanted to follow this career along with her older sister (currently at Wilkes) told me the other day she wasn’t sure anymore, have to say a sense of relief washed over me!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:13 pm Interested reading about securing offers as we are wondering the same. Urdang want £100 and DD is only at the beginning of this audition process. We've decided to pay as, although it is not DD's first choice, it's a great backup for her and she would be very happy to go there if her higher choices don't give her an offer. Not sure how it works with UCAS but we are assuming you can accept mutliple offers and decide later...
I think you just don't accept on UCAS only through the college. With UCAS you can only have one first choice and one reserve so you can accept 2 I believe but then you have to put them in order before mid May. At the moment I would stick to accepting only through the college and confirm on UCAS when you've finished the auditions and you know what you're doing. With "normal" universities you wouldn't make any decisions on UCAS until you have all the offers...
Xxdancexx
Nominee

Post by Xxdancexx »

DD is on Bird college reserve degree list and has an Urdang recall but they’re not giving any information as to when and where it will be on. She’s very disappointed as these are her two top choices and feels she has no definite options. Does anyone know anything about the two? Many thanks!
Louisedunn
BRIT Award

Post by Louisedunn »

icantdance wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 pm So DS is having a panic. He's got his offer from Bird on which they want a decision by this Friday and his other auditions are after that date. His dad (who is not on this site and I don't live with) has told him that if he accepts Bird then he can't go anywhere else. I'm led to believe from everybody on here that that is not the case and he could then withdraw his acceptance further down the line if he gets a "better" offer. Can anybody shed any light on the poor boy's conundrum. For all his talents, decision making is not one of them!!!
Hiya icantdance, we have the same issue and I emailed Bird. They confirmed we can accept the place and withdraw at a later date if we wish 🙂 Fingers crossed for further offers for your DS!
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Bird said at their audition workshop that they don’t ask for a deposit.
They understand people may accept a place and then turn it down later but they ask you to turn it down ASAP if you decide to go elsewhere. I think that’s a reasonable thing to ask as it will free them up to start looking at their reserve list. This is so much fairer than those charging a large deposit fee. To waste £1000 is something many people can’t afford to do.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Thank you icantdance for the information. That was so useful to read. I've told DD and she'll only confirm with Urdang and not UCAS.
We're expecting other auditions and recalls to go online especially if schools can't return until after Easter. Very uncertain times for everyone still.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Hi Everyone, this page has been a lifesaver for me going through the audition process this year with my DD (17). I’ve learnt so much, and it’s helpful to know that other parents are going through a similar anxiety and stress as me. DD has only submitted one online application so far for Urdang and has received a recall. Can anyone explain to me what happens here if your DD or DS has been through it before? She’s now working on her next batch of videos for Performers and Laines who still haven’t sent us the exercises for the ballet or jazz and she needs to film and submit these in 3 weeks. Trying to keep her sane and motivated has been so challenging while she’s also juggling her final year of A’Levels.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

anastasia79 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:18 am Hi Everyone, this page has been a lifesaver for me going through the audition process this year with my DD (17). I’ve learnt so much, and it’s helpful to know that other parents are going through a similar anxiety and stress as me. DD has only submitted one online application so far for Urdang and has received a recall. Can anyone explain to me what happens here if your DD or DS has been through it before? She’s now working on her next batch of videos for Performers and Laines who still haven’t sent us the exercises for the ballet or jazz and she needs to film and submit these in 3 weeks. Trying to keep her sane and motivated has been so challenging while she’s also juggling her final year of A’Levels.
Hi Anastasia79, DS also has Performers (6/3) and Laine (26/2) auditions. If I can wrangle the exercises out of him then I can send them to you by email. So pleased this is helpful. I went through the process 2 years ago when DS was 16 so this is the 2nd time which does make it easier, but I have no idea how he will make a decision if he gets multiple offers!! His Urdang audition was last Thursday and Italia Conti this coming Tuesday. He hasn't had recalls before, only offers and rejections so I can't help with that, but I guess the recalls will also be online? Yes, final year of A levels and trying to film multiple audition pieces is challenging. DS is struggling with screen lessons followed y screen homework so he's started getting migraines from too much screen time. For auditions we have to film everything several times so he can pick the best one so it takes ages, but at least some of them are repeated for other auditions - mainly songs and monologues which helps. The Performers audition requirements are challenging to say the least. DS might withdraw from that depending on what happens before 6th March - I don't think it is in his top 2!! The very best of luck to your DD - I think boys have an easier time with auditions as there are less of them. To quote the lady at Laine when we went to the audition support day - "if you have a boy - congratulations!" Keep us all posted on your DD's offers and recalls x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

According to today's Laine Virtual Support session, no audition dance material has been sent out yet. It will be two jazz sequences, two ballet barre exercises and three ballet centre exercises along with your own dance.
Totally empathise with the constant re-filming! Kids want (and I suppose need) it all to be as perfect as they can get and they have to wait to look at what they've filmed to see if it is good enough. No teacher lurking in the wings to help! And some colleges have asked for a lot! We are waiting on GSA, Trinity, EDA and Royal Welsh responses from the tapes DD submitted. DD is still not sure whether to go for a more dance focussed college or acting/singing focussed college. Or even take a year out and wait til the current situation is resolved as she doesn't want to start her degree with the prospect of more online tuition. Very difficult decisions all round.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I think like face to face auditions, don't worry too much.
Of course, easy for me to say but remember many drama schools went through this last year and most on my DD's course at GSA did online auditions.
She received an offer last February and has since found out that she was the second girl accepted, one had a face to face audition in December on the first audition date and was offered a place around May.
I am not by any means saying she is an outstanding performer but more that it's very hard to know what they are looking for.
I did ask what would she do if she was auditioning now and she said take a year out but would be worried auditions would be swamped next year .
She is getting increasingly upset at missing out on working with classmates but online teaching has been non stop and of great quality . She has just sorted a house out with 5 girls to rent and is very much focusing on that bit of good news and can't wait to get back to studio work.
Best of luck everyone.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Definitely agree not to worry - and having an early offer makes it easier for DD. More a case of wondering if second rounds will also be online. We expect so.
Hope anyone having their first snow day has enjoyed it as much as we have today and that no-one on here is struggling with both adverse weather as well as lockdown auditions! x
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Is anyone having trouble uploading to Arts Ed?
My dd has been trying all evening and it just says ‘uploading please wait’
musicalmummy123
Nominee

Post by musicalmummy123 »

Moonfaery wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:34 pm Is anyone having trouble uploading to Arts Ed?
My dd has been trying all evening and it just says ‘uploading please wait’
DS’s took forever to upload. He tried multiple times and it just randomly uploaded on one of the times.