Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

amo185
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by amo185 »

DD has just had email to say Laine auditions are now online and her EDA audition has changed to online too. So tough for everyone :(
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Sadly Betty Laine called a zoom meeting for the whole college today and basically told them all to go and retrain - talk about a kick in the teeth! My daughter is a third year and hasnt seen inside the college properly since last march. How can she get a proper diploma in musical theatre via zoom? We are paying for a private flat which she hasn't been in since March last year. Bearing in mind this latest lockdown i do seriously advise anyone thinking of auditioning this year to take a year our and rest how can an online audition show you at your best - rubbish times ahead for our beautiful talented kids - yet again like last year no showcases, end of year or agent shows so so heartbreakingly sad for each and everyone one of them wherever they are training
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Belledancer wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:35 pm Sadly Betty Laine called a zoom meeting for the whole college today and basically told them all to go and retrain - talk about a kick in the teeth! My daughter is a third year and hasnt seen inside the college properly since last march. How can she get a proper diploma in musical theatre via zoom? We are paying for a private flat which she hasn't been in since March last year. Bearing in mind this latest lockdown i do seriously advise anyone thinking of auditioning this year to take a year our and rest how can an online audition show you at your best - rubbish times ahead for our beautiful talented kids - yet again like last year no showcases, end of year or agent shows so so heartbreakingly sad for each and everyone one of them wherever they are training
So sorry to read this, it must be so disappointing for all the students and staff as well as parents who are footing the bill.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

I've heard Arts Ed shows have been cancelled. EDA said they're pushing shows back to the summer and if BTEC Musical can't go ahead then they'll do a "Showcase" as kids can do that in bubbles. I really think the kids need to believe in the future. But for anyone graduating this year - or even last year and next year - it's certainly not going to be easy. The finances are horrendous too. Feel for everyone. We are seriously considering DD taking a year out...Wish they could all just repeat the year. As for retraining - as what? Very difficult times for so many.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Exactly re- train as what in cyber maybe😆. It’s been my daughters life since she was 3 years old ?
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

I am totally shocked that those poor kids at Laine were told that! What an absolutely disgraceful lack of regard to the mental health of those students. They need support and guidance. It’s an incredibly tough time for the performing arts. A time to be creative and tenacious and hold your nerve.

I am extremely happy with the training and support my DS is getting from EDA. I find it interesting reading up thread about the phrase ‘back up college’. Surely every student has a favourite and a back up and it will be different for every student depending on many factors. A talented, hard working student will make a career for themselves from any of the top schools. Everyone’s view of a top school will be different.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

At the CDMT conference everyone stressed the need for a second job and to look at developing other skills alongside PA ones. I am sure Betty Laine's alleged comment will be cited at the Laine Virtual Open Day in a couple of weeks' time to see the response! Meanwhile we wait to see what the online audition requirements are...
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:59 pm At the CDMT conference everyone stressed the need for a second job and to look at developing other skills alongside PA ones. I am sure Betty Laine's alleged comment will be cited at the Laine Virtual Open Day in a couple of weeks' time to see the response! Meanwhile we wait to see what the online audition requirements are...
DS is also waiting but apparently they are going to do them interactively, which I guess means video submissions for singing and acting and an online dance class with a smaller number so they can fit onto one screen!! We shall find out when they issue more information.

In the meantime, Performers are now going online - they were also holding on for F2F auditions, but they now have a new additional centre in Birmingham so that might mean taking twice the numbers!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Performers has grown in numbers recently so yes we think with Birmingham plus the new BTEC they'll have large numbers auditioning. They've extended their degree application deadline too. Thanks for the headsup on online auditions. We hadn't heard that yet although we suspected it.
BonfireBelle
Nominee

Post by BonfireBelle »

As a parent with a DD in the 1st year at Laines, I listened to Miss Laines zoom talk. We didn’t for one minute think that she meant them to retrain for a different career but was telling them how important a side hustle and other interests were for the students mental health & motivation. As they have extra free time at the moment, it seems sensible to use it to also develop other skills. My DD attended EDA before Laines and she has found both colleges to be very supportive. Miss Laine takes a personal interest in her students & the college is small enough to allow her to do that. With an older DD who graduated from Bird two years ago, I can only agree that being able to earn money from other avenues is absolutely essential even before we had a worldwide pandemic !
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

BonfireBelle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:52 pm As a parent with a DD in the 1st year at Laines, I listened to Miss Laines zoom talk. We didn’t for one minute think that she meant them to retrain for a different career but was telling them how important a side hustle and other interests were for the students mental health & motivation. As they have extra free time at the moment, it seems sensible to use it to also develop other skills. My DD attended EDA before Laines and she has found both colleges to be very supportive. Miss Laine takes a personal interest in her students & the college is small enough to allow her to do that. With an older DD who graduated from Bird two years ago, I can only agree that being able to earn money from other avenues is absolutely essential even before we had a worldwide pandemic !
That’s is very good to hear! A side hustle is essential. I have an older DS who went to Tring and is now in a completely different career and thriving. Already talking to my son to think of other ways to earn money between jobs.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

My daughter asked Laine college if she was allowed to undertake some facial and beauty massage courses in her own time and they were not at all encouraging about it. She did go ahead at her own expense a weeks worth of training and was fully booked after setting up her own studio during the weekends in November and December so she did think ahead and got a back up plan which sadly doesn’t work atm either ! As a third year she feels quite let down and thinks the communication from the college is quite poor.😞
Last edited by Belledancer on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

BonfireBelle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:52 pm As a parent with a DD in the 1st year at Laines, I listened to Miss Laines zoom talk. We didn’t for one minute think that she meant them to retrain for a different career but was telling them how important a side hustle and other interests were for the students mental health & motivation. As they have extra free time at the moment, it seems sensible to use it to also develop other skills. My DD attended EDA before Laines and she has found both colleges to be very supportive. Miss Laine takes a personal interest in her students & the college is small enough to allow her to do that. With an older DD who graduated from Bird two years ago, I can only agree that being able to earn money from other avenues is absolutely essential even before we had a worldwide pandemic !
I figured it was probably something like this alright . My own dd always tends to misinterpret stuff like this and only picks up on one or two phrases . Her college had their meeting on zoom today so I listened in just so I knew what was happening 😂
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Morning All, my DDs college has taken a slightly different approach which may be considered controversial. From next week they have decided to suspend the full dance timetable for 6 weeks. They will still offer strengthening and conditioning and fitness classes and will rearrange the timetable to do some acting, singing, anatomy and all other academic classes to enable students to get this work completed early (particularly the written work required for diploma students). They have advised students that there will no longer be an Easter break of nearly 3 weeks, instead just Easter weekend. They will also only have 4 weeks off in the summer. This decision has been made to concentrate fully on dance training once back in the studio (fingers crossed!) and make up the lost time face to face.
At first we were slightly concerned however on listening to the reasons I now completely agree. They state that many, no all, but some students do not have adequate space at home to train properly. Some are getting injured on non sprung floors. Many families have parents trying to work from home as well as home school younger siblings, so practically wise not everyone is gaining the benefit of online training. Obviously it’s not ideal missing 6 weeks of class but I certainly feel reassured that my DD will benefit far more from corrections in a studio and the training will be equal for all students and not the few who are lucky enough to have a studio at home or the space required. I find it must be hard for any teacher to be able to completely concentrate on a full cohort of students through a screen. I agree learning on zoom has certainly kept everyone going and if training in small groups it can be better but depending on student numbers not ideal. Suppose there’s no right and wrong we’ve just got to hope they will all be back in soon. Again the third year students hit hardest again this year 😢
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

It sounds like there are a lot of positives to the plan you describe Becmum ! Although I think my Daughter (who is primarily a dancer) might struggle to keep motivated without dance classes. At her college they are continuing with a timetable of online classes in all 'subjects' . I am hoping that their terms will also be extended to allow time for them to make up for some of the teaching they have missed although as far as we know there are no plans for this currently. Like you, I do feel very much for this year's graduating cohort and v much hoping they can return to face to face training as soon at it is safe to do so. My daughter is in 2nd year so at least has some more time . Regarding retraining , we have discussed alternative options - especially as the UCAS deadline for 2021 entry has been extended :D ... but I think she has decided to push on with the Dance/MT for now !