College teaching from next term ?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

College teaching from next term ?

Post by Dancecrazy »

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into teaching next term on the Diploma & Degree courses ?
We haven’t heard anything yet though I imagine it won’t be decided until after Christmas . My dd is in central London and hasnt had many on line classes so far but I think it will be different now that they’re in Tier 4.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Re: College teaching from next term ?

Post by amo185 »

Can't answer the question but we are wondering the same regarding BTEC Diploma. Another of DD's auditions for next year has moved online and given the current situation in Tier 4 and across the UK we're also concerned that the college will be required to move to online teaching at least initially especially as they run a gap year and a degree too. DD has been very fortunate to date in that nearly all her lessons have been face to face but the college did close a week early to enable students to travel home.
Crossing fingers that kids get back into their studios!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My daughter starts back on 5th Jan and will be more or less full time, face to face.

My son is doing a Btec. He is due in college full time but on alternate weeks.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Mine is due back at GSA on the MT degree on the 4th Jan. She has had majority of lessons in the studios face to face and some online. She has to have another Covid test before starting back though.
Those doing practical degrees are to go back sooner I believe, my son isn't back until 7th February although he is doing film and TV production- no idea what's going on there.
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

Hopefully we’ll get some clarity soon . I have a feeling that there’s not going to be many face to face classes this term . My dd has been very lucky so far in terms of not having that many online classes.
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

So it looks like all the colleges going online until 25th Jan minimum following a letter from the Universities Minister :( :(
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My daughter is now back in on 11th as 3rd year diplomas are classed as exam years.

Everyone else is back on 18th.

They are online on zoom until then.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

It does now seem that those doing BA Hons in Performing Arts etc cannot now start until Jan 25th at the earliest according to the letter sent to university students. I expect as a Diploma can be accessed by 16 year olds it could well fall under the FE guidance rather than Further Ed guidance. The former seems to still be allowing exam/assessment groups to return earlier. We're wondering how BTEC 2 will be considered - especially when the facilities are shared with BA Hons students. DDs year group were not allowed to return in June when other Year 12s in schools could, probably as quite a few stay in host families - so in all honesty I'm now not feeling hopeful :(
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

amo185 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:44 pm It does now seem that those doing BA Hons in Performing Arts etc cannot now start until Jan 25th at the earliest according to the letter sent to university students. I expect as a Diploma can be accessed by 16 year olds it could well fall under the FE guidance rather than Further Ed guidance. The former seems to still be allowing exam/assessment groups to return earlier. We're wondering how BTEC 2 will be considered - especially when the facilities are shared with BA Hons students. DDs year group were not allowed to return in June when other Year 12s in schools could, probably as quite a few stay in host families - so in all honesty I'm now not feeling hopeful :(

2nd year btecs are starting back on 11th Jan at dds college but 1st year on 18th.

No one did those few weeks in the summer last year, not even year 10 gcse/year 12 A level.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Hammond sounds well-organised! Guess we'll just have to wait and see what other colleges have control over and what decisions they make. Given the government keep u-turning (most recently on keeping all London primary schools closed next week)I think anything can happen here!
Anyway - Happy New Year to everyone. It has to be better than 2020! x
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

What a disaster for performing arts students having to go online until at least mid Feb . I guess they were lucky to have a relatively normal autumn term
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Yes. And it was almost entirely avoidable if proper measures had been put into place in the first place.