What do you look for in an agent?

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

willywonka
BRIT Award

What do you look for in an agent?

Post by willywonka »

What do you look for in an agency, apart from the obvious? What makes your agency brilliant or awful? Looking to change agents but not sure what to loook for in a new one! Or who knows, maybe the reason I am looking to change agents for DD will set me up to have the same issues with new agent as all agents are the same?
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Re: What do you look for in an agent?

Post by Pandora II »

- someone I can talk to about the not so good stuff as well as the good stuff.
- no internal competition.
- knows who the children are on the books and their strengths, likes and personality, and sends them for appropriate castings.
- very selective and actively wants to represent my child.

When I met DDs current agent I knew it was right. So different from previous one.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Someone who knows my child and can be reached quickly and easily
Someone who doesn't have an assistant who fobs me off telling me they're busy while I hear them whispering it in the background - yes it did happen in the past unfortunately
Someone who gets the Spotlight picture up immediately
Someone who doesn't insist I use their photographer who then takes six weeks to send me their photo - again happened in the past
Someone who is realistic about my kid's chances and believes in them
Someone who sympathises when kid gets rejected but has the next fab opportunity waiting for them
Someone who can be a bit bossy if I moan too much - yes it has happened in the past :D
Someone who understands if I say no to a casting but will also tell me when it's definitely the right time to say yes
Someone who treats me like a person and gets me.
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Yes to the above 100 times over!!

Someone whose job is to represent their clients, and only that - not someone who is doing it to fill in between pauses in their own career
Mumoftwochickens
BRIT Award

Post by Mumoftwochickens »

Is anyone with daisy and dukes? I’m considering contacting them as dds agent got her one audition last year which surely isn’t right? Just want her to get the chance to audition
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

Mumoftwochickens wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:15 pm Is anyone with daisy and dukes? I’m considering contacting them as dds agent got her one audition last year which surely isn’t right? Just want her to get the chance to audition
D and D is a well respected agency. Has quite a large number on their books I believe but difficult to know exact numbers as they don't show client profiles at all without passwords. They ask for ability to go to London auditions with 24 hr notice which was never possible for us living further away with 2 full time working parents, but probably works if you are London based and more flexible.
Have you asked for your DD's submissions from last year? Is she on Spotlight? It's hard to know if the agent is simply not submitting - which would suggest you do need to move - or whether she is getting submissions but just not the auditions - which is not the agents fault.
There are several agencies with open books over the next couple of months - It's always worth applying if you think a change could be good.
Fuji11547
BRIT Award

Post by Fuji11547 »

Mumoftwochickens wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:15 pm Is anyone with daisy and dukes? I’m considering contacting them as dds agent got her one audition last year which surely isn’t right? Just want her to get the chance to audition
You can go and check the submissions in your Tagmin account. I am sure they are submitting your daughter if it is suitable (why would not they?). It is just crazy competitive and if you girl doesn't stand out from the crowd, it is literally like a lottery.
Mumoftwochickens
BRIT Award

What’s tagmin?
Mumoftwochickens
BRIT Award

Also I see hash tag are opening books, anyone heard of these? Thanks
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

Mumoftwochickens wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm What’s tagmin?
Not all agents use tagmin. It is like an online calendar where you book out your availability and your agent puts all you submissions onto it.
Mumoftwochickens
BRIT Award

A cookie would you mind pm me I have tried to but can’t seem to send one to you? Thanks
Fuji11547
BRIT Award

Post by Fuji11547 »

D&D are definitely using Tagmin. You need to speak to them and ask them to help you to set it up. They won't send your child to auditions until you confirm it on Tagmin. They are very strict about it. Good luck!
Mumoftwochickens
BRIT Award

Thanks, so you know how many they have on their books? Do they invite many in for the open days or are they selective too? They are open next weekend so mulling it over or any others? We are with an agent so it’s hard or know what to do. Thanks!
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Mumoftwochickens wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:15 pm
You can go and check the submissions in your Tagmin account. I am sure they are submitting your daughter if it is suitable (why would not they?). It is just crazy competitive and if you girl doesn't stand out from the crowd, it is literally like a lottery.
I didnt know you could see a list of submissions in Tagmin! That would be handy but I'm not sure it is always a standard feature - you cant see them in our account.
Fuji11547
BRIT Award

Post by Fuji11547 »

Yorkshirepudding wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:40 am
I didnt know you could see a list of submissions in Tagmin! That would be handy but I'm not sure it is always a standard feature - you cant see them in our account.
Maybe it depends on your agent's settings. Worth asking. Maybe they presume you can see submissions and don't realize that you don't.