Agency etiquette

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Fillyjonk
Nominee

Agency etiquette

Post by Fillyjonk »

Hello

I hope someone can tell me what is the protocol here...

Several years ago, my family (me, my husband and four kids) sort of accidentally ended up on a local casting agent's book. We didn't sign up or anything, it was just very casual - a friend put him in touch with him and he has used us 2-3 times for things in the last few years (corporate stuff.) He doesn't really represent kids so we don't expect him to find much work for us - as I say, it was just a fluke that we found each other.

A couple of months ago I emailed another local casting agency and after sending some pics, she has found TV extra work for my kids - they filmed for ITV last week and will again for the BBC next week. Again, it was really casual, although bona fide - paid, licensed, chaperoned etc. But again, I haven't signed any contracts to say she exclusively represents us...

So, does it matter that two different agents are finding work for us? It's only extra work and fairly low key, small time stuff, but I don't know if I should really make them both aware that we are with them both. I'm fairly chilled about stuff - we don't actively chase jobs but are pleased if opportunities come our way and in five years there has only been a handful of them (we are a long way from London.)

Is it best to tell each agent, or doesn't it matter? It's just been a bit of fun up to now, but several offers of 'jobs' has made me think perhaps I need to start treating it a bit more seriously!

Sorry for rambling.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Agency etiquette

Post by paulears »

Unless you signed a sole representation agreement, then you can use as many agents as you, or they are happy with. My band manage ourselves, and we get calls from agents all the time, most we've never heard of. They don't represent us, but offer work, subject, of course, to their cut. Sole representation is great if they give you lots of work - but if they don't ........................
James C
BRIT Award

Post by James C »

If both agencies submit for the same job it can be annoying for them.
mumamia
GRAMMY Award

Post by mumamia »

Hi it sounds like extras agency's if they are you could be on 200 if you wanted to but if they are acting agents then they would not be keen.
As someone else said it depends on your contract if you have one.
Good luck with it all
Mumamia
Fillyjonk
Nominee

Post by Fillyjonk »

Thanks, that has cleared it up. They're just extra agencies really. No sole representation contracts signed.

Thanks again.