Agency Fee/Cut/Percentage

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Agency Fee/Cut/Percentage

Post by paulears »

30% is double the typical fees in my experience. I've just had the settlement notice from an agent for this weekend's work. An agent we'd never used before, and it was 15% but it does have VAT on top. That doesn't matter to us as we are registered. 30% is taking a liberty. Out of principle, I would not give 30% of my income to an agent - it's more than the tax man takes!
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Would not go with an agent that takes 30% that is a lot of money I would go with the agent that takes less commission the agency that gets more work might have a lot more children on there books so looks like they get more work, but if they have 100s on there books and sending lots more to castings than other agency's then it would be strange if they did not get more. Another thing to look out for is the audition fee which you get for advert castings for children it's to help with the train fare as children have to have an adult with them some agency's don't give out that fee they also don't give out the recall fee which is about £50 the audition fee is about £18. Have to be careful as well about what notice you have to give agent my DS had to give 3 months notice and the agent made him stay for 3 months even though new agent offered to give old agent any commission DS son got through work with them, DS did not get one job in the 3 months there was lots new agent could have put DS up for so there are other things to look out for not just commission
tracie
BRIT Award

Post by tracie »

Hi, defo to much. I have been with two big agencies one of which I am sure took 30% so wondering if its the same agency. We left.................. my son is with a much smaller agency now and she takes 18%. I have found its like a cattle market these big agencys and I felt I was selling my son down the river hence why we left and I am a million times happier.
x_sugarplumfairy_x
GRAMMY Award

Post by x_sugarplumfairy_x »

Thanks for your replies- think i'll avoid them! And its a good point what you said i hadnt thought about the number of children on books when i said about them getting more work. They said they are selective and only take a couple from each of their audition workshops but when i counted up they do have like 400 on their books whereas the other agency shes been accepted by had 150. So i guess the bigger one will get more work as more children on their books. I might hang fire and have a look around and apply for a few more before i make my decision but i think your right 30% does seem too much.

And do all auditions have the auditions fees/recall fees as my daughter hasnt been paid anything from any auditions/recalls shes attended with her current agent :(. One of them definetly said they had recall fee aswell but it was never paid to us :( and theres been a few others that iv wondered if they might have but the agent said no so i believed her.
X
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Some low paid adverts don't give a fee but then agent should tell you it's only for adverts and photograph work drama and theatre don't give a fee