Finding an agent at 18

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Itsyazzy
BRIT Award

Finding an agent at 18

Post by Itsyazzy »

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I could get some advise please.

I just turned 18 and I'm currently looking for an agent but I was wondering if I could get any suggestions for who to ask for representation to as its a lot harder to find an agent when you reach 18.
I used to attend drama/ stage school when I was younger and so have experience.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Feel free to pm aswell.

Many thanks,
Yasmin. xx
Last edited by Itsyazzy on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Finding an agent at 18

Post by pg »

Unfortunately there is no easy answer.

You are in competition with so many people, many of them are graduates of drama schools or have quite a bit of professional work on their CVs.

Good agents only take on people who they believe have a reasonable prospect of getting paid work - so that's what you need to convince them of. They'll also expect you to be Spotlight eligible.

You probably need to have a showreel or to be able to invite them to see you in something .

I recommend Actor's Yearbook as a really useful resource (lots of useful articles and contacts) - especially for someone just entering the adult profession.
Itsyazzy
BRIT Award

Post by Itsyazzy »

Hey,

Thanks for replying. I'll Deffo have a look Into that. :)
It's a shame that it's a lot harder to find an agent now than when I was younger.
Things used to be a lot easier. x
dani wyatt
Nominee

Post by dani wyatt »

Go on line look at all the agencys London agencys manchester ones . Some are big some are semi big. They will all ask you to send them your cv photograph covering letter and showreel if they are interested they will contact you for sure. it may take 3 weeks. Or longer if you never hear anything again. Don,t worry. Here are some name's of agencys. A&J management hero talent agency Amber talent agency Scream management. Stage coach agency. Brown &mills talent agency Patrick hambleton manage ment.mark jermin agency and top talentAgency. Good luck mate.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

It's very hard to get on the big agency's DS has been acting since he was 3 been in EastEnders for 2 years when he was young, got a very good CV when his agent gave up he sent out over 20 CVs with showreel only 1 came back DS joined them they where one of the best but DS did not do well. He has just changed to a small newish agency and has had more casting in 2 weeks than he had in 10 months with the big agent. The trouble is the best have about 30 there books I know that seems small compered to children agents but adult agency's don't have 100s the agency may have a lot but there are about 10 different agents in these big agency's, you then have to compete with actors who have done a lot. I think smaller agency's are better as they are more personal, DS new agent phones up CD and tells them she is sending over DS CV and thinks they should see him and it works, bigger agents don't have the time to do that, also DS agent is avable 24/7 he has had phone calls at 9 at night. I know that DS agent will not take any one like DS on her books, it's bad enough being in competition with actors from other agency's but having to compete with actors from your own agency is not good. Look on agents website and see if there are any actors that look like you then it's not worth going with them. Good luck hope you find an agent soon
Itsyazzy
BRIT Award

Post by Itsyazzy »

Hello,
Thanks for responding back. :)
I've got an audition for d and b management next week. They seem to have a lot of successful actors and actresses. However, I think that they might have a lot of people on their books seeing as they have a performing arts school aswell. Which puts me off just a teeny weeny bit lol. I've heard that smaller boutiques are better as they tend to focus a lot more with their clients etc.

Have any of you got any opinion on this agency? Or experiences with them by any chance?

Many thanks,
Yas. x
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Weren't they the ones who did that awful TOWIE type show about drama schools?
Itsyazzy
BRIT Award

Post by Itsyazzy »

Yes I think it was them. That's also another reason why I feel abit off about joining them aswell. I heard that the media just represented them in an unapproipriate way though. Not 100% sure. Their clients do however get a lot of jobs despite all of the craziness. x
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I wouldn't be put off them 'just because' of their TV show. The show will have been edited to engage viewers in a' OMG, did someone just do that' making them talk about it on social media etc and encourage more people to tune in to see what others are talking about.

Go, see what they see and see how you feel about it. Good Luck.
Itsyazzy
BRIT Award

Post by Itsyazzy »

lawn wrote:I wouldn't be put off them 'just because' of their TV show. The show will have been edited to engage viewers in a' OMG, did someone just do that' making them talk about it on social media etc and encourage more people to tune in to see what others are talking about.

Go, see what they see and see how you feel about it. Good Luck.

Hiya, that's very true. I think I'll do that. Thank you for the advice :) x