Contact with your agent

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Cme1
BRIT Award

Contact with your agent

Post by Cme1 »

Hi, I was wondering how much contact you have with your agents? Do you wait to hear from them or are you more proactive and touch base with them regularly during quiet times. Ds only joined an agency last month so we have no experience whatsoever.
He is with a larger children's agency and I don't want to be seen as a pain but would love to hear more about the relationships you all have with agents,to inform the expectations I should have of his agent.
Thanks
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Re: Contact with your agent

Post by FredaBloggs »

I would be interested to hear other people's experiences too, as I'm not sure what "normal" is either.

DS has been with an agency that has child and adult divisions for about 18 months. Most contact is via email and is initiated by the agency, and most of it is information about audition/casting meetings. They phone when he is offered something, or sometimes to check availability before submitting him for jobs.

I tend to initiate email contact with them only if I haven't heard about the outcome of a recall/final after a reasonable interval, or once or twice if there is something coming up that I know DS would particularly like to try for. When he has been working on a long contract, I tend to email them towards the end of the run with an update on DS's training/skills/height, by way of a reminder that he is "back in circulation".

I know of other children with the same agency whose parents seem to have more phone contact, but I'm always wary of seeming like a pushy parent by phoning or emailing too much!
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Contact with your agent

Post by pg »

I think it does depend on your agent and the sort of relationship you have with them. I tend not to contact my agent unless I have something industry related to say - unless there's been a very long gap. I use email rather than phone -unless of course there's something urgent to convey or I have a question that won't wait.

I'm now with a lovely agent who never makes me feel that I'm a nuisance when I do get in touch, but I wouldn't normally contact them to say "how are you?" - I would contact them if I'd updated a showreel, had spotted something I thought they might not have seen or had had a direct contact with a potential employer and wanted them to be aware of possible enquiries. I also keep in touch regularly (via an online diary) about my availability. If it's something a bit "nuanced" eg. "probably not available but could rearrange for something really important" then I would email them to explain the circumstance of that.

I trust that they will always be looking out for opportunities for me. It's in their interests to do so after all!