When does an agent stop representing?

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

When does an agent stop representing?

Post by lawn »

As above. When does an agent who has taken on a child cease to represent them. Is it when they turn 18 or some other time?

DD was taken on by an agent aged 11/12. She's still with them, but apart from the first few months when she had some auditions, there's been nothing for over a year. I realise this is to do with her age (14) but I'm not overly impressed with the agency either. I have no wish to find another one. DD likes being with the agent and I have a set of different work circumstances now than what I did when she first joined, which would make going off to a short-noticed audition difficult. So, that they don't come up with anything currently suits me. :oops: Once she comes out of licence, I will contact them about anything she could be put forward for and in the meantime I'm prepared to pay for the headshot and spotlight fee.
What I'm wondering is when they would stop representing her?
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: When does an agent stop representing?

Post by paulears »

What do the contract terms say? Some agents that only have kids on their books have a cut-off, but many just accept they lose them as they get older, but if they are successful and generating money - why would they cease to represent them? Everyone benefits. The contract usually just contains the notice each side has to give. Of course on reaching 18 the person can negotiate a new contract on their own, but with agents, they're agents until one of you decides they are not.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I've just looked and I can't find any contract, so not sure of any notice period! DD has never booked a job. She's had 3 auditions and 1 self tape in 2.5 years. They do represent adults too. From the sounds of it, it will just roll, until she's old enough for me to say up to you now if you wish to stay with them. Thanks.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I think that the are probably lots of people signed with agents who actually do a very poor job for the people they represent. The trouble is, they actually know it too, and they're the ones who wait for you to get something nice and worthwhile, then steam in and demand their percentage. It's been a while now, but one of my old students was so impressed she had found an agent, she simply signed up, with her dad doing the paperwork and taking responsibility as she was 16 at the time - and they got her a summer job in a holiday centre. What she didn't realise was that the shysters signed her on a "for perpetuity, in any territory" - it's not likely to stand up in court now, as terms have to be reasonable - but then, it was legal!