Advice needed about agency applications from a complete novice!

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Splitz
Nominee

Advice needed about agency applications from a complete novice!

Post by Splitz »

Hi,
My DD has been pestering me to help her apply to agencies. She has always been more into dance so I'm more familiar with that world that MT and agencies, so pls excuse my ignorance! She is 12 and mostly interested in MT work. (Realise it's getting a bit late in the day but she's quite small and undeveloped for her age).
When filling in the agencies' online forms, what kind of photo do they require - does it need to be professionally taken or can it just be from a phone?
Do you apply to a few agencies to start with or a whole load all at once?!
Any other tips on making applications?
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Re: Advice needed about agency applications from a complete novice!

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

I'm sure others with more experience will chip in shortly, but all the MT jobs DS has ever got have been open audition rather than agency, so having an agent for MT is not a necessity. Having said that I know he has been put forward by his agent for some MT things and it may make you more likely to be seen.

As far as photo is concerned for an initial contact a good clear photo from a phone is probably ok - a good agency will want to meet your DD anyway, and if they want to represent her will advise on headshots and what they want. Our agency doesn't require us to have headshots done through them, but request certain things that give them all a sort of 'house style'.

I would start with a few agencies to begin with and then take stock when you get an idea of the level of response you are getting. There's lots of advice on this site about which agencies are reputable so make a cup of tea. and have a surf through the agencies threads and make a shortlist. But not all of them will have their books open at any given time, so that will reduce the ones available to apply to initially.

I don't know where you are based but geography is the other thing to think about if you are outside London. We turned down some offers from London based agents who didn't seem to have a grasp of geography and practicalities, and went with those who appreciated that 4pm cattle call auditions in Covent Garden several times a week are bonkers if you are starting from Yorkshire. The one who said 'you'll get used to it' wasn't a fit for us!

Good luck
Last edited by Yorkshirepudding on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

I agree regarding MT auditions. All MT auditions for West End or national tours are open castings that do not require an agent - however at 12, your DD is absolute top end age wise for these auditions regardless of her height and development. Some shows will keep auditioning until 13 and the odd show comes along like Adrian Mole where older children are required but in general 12 is the cut off. You could look at NYMT or YMT courses and auditions for next year if she is interested only in MT. These both do amazingly professional productions.

In terms of photographs for agency applications, just a clear head and shoulders photo will be perfectly acceptable taken on your phone. A good agency will ask to meet with your DD and possibly have an 'in person' audition. I'd advise never to join an agency who asks you to pay any sort of fees other than for spotlight membership and professional head shots.
I would select a few you are interested in to begin with and go from there.
You need to be clear what work your DD is interested in before signing with any agency, as some will expect you to be available for every casting they secure for your DD whereas others will be happy to only put your DD forward for more specific types of roles. Agents will generally submit for TV, Commercials, film and stage. If she only wants to do MT, I'm not sure I'd worry about an agent, I don't think you would gain anything.
Mumoffive
BRIT Award

Post by Mumoffive »

Splitz
Nominee

Post by Splitz »

Thanks so much for your replies, really helpful. I can see she's approaching a tricky age for MT opportunities...(She was offered a place with BYMT this summer but we didn't take it up for various reasons. Hopefully she can do it next year...)
I think we'll give the agencies a go anyway (we're about an hour from London). She'd be happy with other work as well as MT. It may lead to nothing but we'll see!
:)