Tv advert buyout

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

tomcath
Nominee

Tv advert buyout

Post by tomcath »

My ds has just been cast in a tv advert, this is his first job so we have no previous experience of the payment structure. Can anyone tell us what kind of figure we might expect from the "buyout"
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Re: Tv advert buyout

Post by missmoneypenny »

When my dd did a TVC she got a buyout was 500% of the daily rate for one year usage, but we have also been for one that was 300% so maybe there is no standard? This rate only applied to the featured actors though. The walk ons and extras got a set rate with no buyout.

Hope this is a little help! :)
titania

Post by titania »

The percentage varies depending on usuage. So a full 1 year all media is usually 500% of the day rate so after commission etc it tends to be around £800-£1000. If it is a global advert the sky is the limit and if it is for certain countries on top of the uk it can quickly mount up.

If there is a rehearsal day wardrobe fitting or hair and make up checks that is all extra too.

Well done to your ds and enjoy the experience.
tomcath
Nominee

Post by tomcath »

thanks for your replies that's really helpful
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Hi, just reviving this old thread as I have a few qs, if anyone could help.
1. How do you know if you are featured or back-up? Can you tell in advance or do you just have to wait and keep your fingers crossed?
2. When they add a wardrobe fitting in at the last minute which took several hours, does DS get an extra half day at the day rate? Or is it included? Or does it vary?
Thanks!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hi lollypop.

Do you have an agent? The question about wardrobe is one you should probably direct to them, if so. A wardrobe call fee is usually specified at the casting stage. If you don't have an agent, you probably need to ask whoever you are dealing with in the production company. Do you have a contract? This would normally give quite a lot of information.

In terms of featured or background - that is a wait and see I'm afraid. Do you know anything about the agreement? Is there a statement (with an amount) along the lines of "Buyout if featured" ? Or have you been booked as background and are hoping to be upgraded? It depends on so many things that happen on the day of filming and in post-production. Again, your agent should be on top of that one (if you have one).
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Thanks pg, we do have a lovely agent so will ask.

On your very good qs,
- the wardrobe call was added after the paperwork was done, so I don't think it's clear and not sure if I should push. After all, we would do it whatever!
- there are 2 jobs actually. both say "buyout if featured" so I am wondering if "featured" has a precise meaning in the industry. Either way, DS is having an absolute blast so it doesn't really matter, but I would like to know!

Hope that makes sense! We are new to this, so apologies if these are daft qs.
Last edited by lollypop on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

No, not daft questions at all. Your agent is the person best place to either give you answers or find them out for you. It's one of the things you pay your agent commission for!
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Cool. Will do that today, thanks
Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jeanie »

In my experience, wardrobe fee is usually £50 no matter if you're there 10 minutes or the whole day. As for featured etc, you have to wait for the final cut. The "hero" is the main child, "featured" means you get a buy out too and background means blurred or body parts!
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Thanks Jeanie, that's really helpful. this terminolgy is all gobbledygook to me, learning something new every day!
Twototango
BRIT Award

Post by Twototango »

Jeanie wrote:In my experience, wardrobe fee is usually £50 no matter if you're there 10 minutes or the whole day. As for featured etc, you have to wait for the final cut. The "hero" is the main child, "featured" means you get a buy out too and background means blurred or body parts!

This was also helpful for me as we are new to it all. We have done first audition for TVC and have been told to keep dates free as DS is pencilled in? :D
Could you also translate the words "pencilled in" for me please? Does that mean short listed in agency speak? :D
They should issue a dictionary for beginners!!! :D

I gather it is all relying on who else is cast.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

It basically means the CD has chosen who they want to use, then have to ok it with the company who commissioned the ad. They may have given the company two or three boys to choose from so the CD has asked you to keep the date free in case the company choose your ds - however, there could be a 'heavy pencil' round before they actually choose because sometimes they ask two children to get a licence and it could come down to which agent gets all the paper work filled in first!
Twototango
BRIT Award

Post by Twototango »

Thanks for this. :D
Twototango
BRIT Award

Post by Twototango »

francescasmum wrote:It basically means the CD has chosen who they want to use, then have to ok it with the company who commissioned the ad. They may have given the company two or three boys to choose from so the CD has asked you to keep the date free in case the company choose your ds - however, there could be a 'heavy pencil' round before they actually choose because sometimes they ask two children to get a licence and it could come down to which agent gets all the paper work filled in first!

You were right, recalled again and still favourite/ pencilled in until the licensing ! Then second choice child on an open licence is suddenly in! Our area doesn't have open licences.....still DS did well to get that far on his first attempt and CD likes him so what will be will be!