Star Wars 7

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Sez1
BRIT Award

Star Wars 7

Post by Sez1 »

Does anyone know what's happening with the production for this? What stage they are at with the script and casting.

For those of you that don't know but have more acting experience than I do, Which actors do you think will be cast for roles? What agents will they be using and what sort of people do you think they will be looking for?

I think this will be a great film when it comes out! Really excited to see who they finally cast!
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Star Wars 7

Post by pg »

There is a lot of speculation around on various social networking sites. I've no idea who will be cast - but I think it's pretty safe to assume it will be actors with experience who are represented by established agencies.

The way things often work in casting is that the director and casting team know who they want - sometimes right down to quite minor roles. They contact the agents who represent the people they want - they don't put out casting calls. Sometimes the big agents who represent the star names are able to push to get other clients seen for lesser roles.

The director and CD may see several people for minor roles, but this could still be (and very often is) from a list of names they already know. The exception to this for a film like Star Wars is likely to be if they need someone with very unusual/distinctive looks (very tall, very small etc) and they don't already know actors that fit these briefs - then a much wider call is likely to go out, possibly to all agents or even all Spotlight subscribers.

It's unlikely that anyone on NAPM will be privy to any information about casting for speaking roles - and if they were they would almost certainly be duty bound not to broadcast it! (EG if agents have had information already from the CD)

In terms of extras - I don't know which agencies they will be using. If you are interested in that kind of thing it is probably best to look in to joining several of the well-established extra agencies (e.g. Casting Collective). However, I imagine that a lot of extras needed on something like Starwars are likely to be for parts where the individual is unrecognisable (e.g. Stormtroopers) so they wouldn't be using anyone still in education for these roles because of licensing/working hours/availability issues. Much easier to use adults.

I hope that helps! As ever, just my opinion - I'm not privy to any special information, the opinion is just based on my experience so far in the industry. :D
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

pg wrote:and they don't already know actors that fit these briefs

I have know some castings that are based on whether the actors would fit the costumes ;) - though that isn't quite what I meant :oops:
Sez1
BRIT Award

Post by Sez1 »

pg wrote:There is a lot of speculation around on various social networking sites. I've no idea who will be cast - but I think it's pretty safe to assume it will be actors with experience who are represented by established agencies.

The way things often work in casting is that the director and casting team know who they want - sometimes right down to quite minor roles. They contact the agents who represent the people they want - they don't put out casting calls. Sometimes the big agents who represent the star names are able to push to get other clients seen for lesser roles.

The director and CD may see several people for minor roles, but this could still be (and very often is) from a list of names they already know. The exception to this for a film like Star Wars is likely to be if they need someone with very unusual/distinctive looks (very tall, very small etc) and they don't already know actors that fit these briefs - then a much wider call is likely to go out, possibly to all agents or even all Spotlight subscribers.

It's unlikely that anyone on NAPM will be privy to any information about casting for speaking roles - and if they were they would almost certainly be duty bound not to broadcast it! (EG if agents have had information already from the CD)

In terms of extras - I don't know which agencies they will be using. If you are interested in that kind of thing it is probably best to look in to joining several of the well-established extra agencies (e.g. Casting Collective). However, I imagine that a lot of extras needed on something like Starwars are likely to be for parts where the individual is unrecognisable (e.g. Stormtroopers) so they wouldn't be using anyone still in education for these roles because of licensing/working hours/availability issues. Much easier to use adults.

I hope that helps! As ever, just my opinion - I'm not privy to any special information, the opinion is just based on my experience so far in the industry. :D

Thank you very much pg, as always, very useful! Now realise that an upcoming actor probably wouldn't break through with a film like this (not that i was thinking It could be me or anything ;) ) haha. But seriously, I know now that they would probably be pretty well known allready to be cast onto this film.
Will they mainly be american actors or will they be international/british? JJ Abrams has quite a good relationship with some Brit actors on Star Trek so high hopes for them!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

hi Sez1

Just goes to show what I know doesn't it...

Have you seen the thread on 16-20 casting? Open auditions for speaking roles in Star Wars!
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

pg wrote:hi Sez1

Just goes to show what I know doesn't it...

Have you seen the thread on 16-20 casting? Open auditions for speaking roles in Star Wars!
Sorry pg, but this made me giggle! You are so wise most of the time!I was reading your thread about no one on NAPM having a speaking part then the next thread its advertised on NAPM! You did give me a giggle :lol: :lol:
Will still take your advice though when necessary. Keep up the good work xx
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

No, it would not be worth attending the auditions if you are not over 16. They are only looking for actors over licensing age ... they have been really specific about this: pic.twitter.com/9SN2dPh9t8

You really would be wasting your time and theirs if you turned up