West End Kids

Chat with new friends about anything

Moderator: busybusybusy

Heidieasby
Nominee

West End Kids

Postby Heidieasby » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 am

First time to this group - HI! Looking for a triple threat opportunity for my nearly 13 year old. She is progressing well at local performing arts school but thinks she wants to push harder. She did NYMT audition for first time this year & loved it but didn't get a part (unfortunately we weren't avail for NMT). We live in Kent. What are thoughts re London based schools such as West End Kids? TIA

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: West End Kids

Postby jennifer1972 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:42 am

Hello

I know that both NYMT an YMT offer summer courses that last for a week. No audition is needed but a good insight into how things work. As your DD is only 13 she has plenty of time and the experience may help her to audition again next year with a bit more experience under her belt. Look out for opportunities with the BTA as well.

Heidieasby
Nominee

Postby Heidieasby » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 am

Thank you so much. Great advise, re the workshops & BTA.

FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Postby FredaBloggs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:26 pm

I have no experience of West End Kids, but can definitely recommend Spirit Young Performers Company. They run audition-entry musical theatre classes on Saturdays and Sundays in term-time (central and north London locations), as well as a singing troupe, dance classes and a competition dance company. The training is very good and the kids all have a lot of fun. They also run audition- and open-entry holiday courses.

Another to consider is Stagebox, which (for the London team) runs during school holidays rather than regularly during term-time. No direct experience, but I gather that they do like their kids to be signed up to their talent agency, which may or may not appeal to you.

amo185
BRIT Award

Postby amo185 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 am

My dd is with West End Kids Troupe and has been for over three years. If you want your dd to be really pushed, develop resilience, learn loads of material and strive for amazing performance opportunities then you must get her to audition. They have four levels of Training companies plus the actual Troupe. We have just had performances in Manchester (Mariposa Ball) and London (Imagine) and have lots more coming up. They feature in West End Live every year and perform at Car Fest and other major festivals. The current Troupe is 14 to 18 but can be from 11 to 21. Training starts from 9. They run a Summer Intensive which is more intensive than anything anyone else appears to run (my dd has been to Performers and Laine and they don't compare). The troupe trains for up to twelve hours on a Saturday - but usually just nine - and the training is for singing (including harmonies) and dance (all styles). Training companies have three and a half hours.
They are performing at Moveit on the Sunday then running a workshop which would give a taster and they will also be scouting for potential auditionees there. Every member who then seeks full time PA colleges is successful with many getting scholarships or DADAs. So do consider it! We have never looked back and auditioning was the best thing my dd every did. Not everyone copes with the toughness, but those that do are well prepared for the industry.

Totallyclueless
GRAMMY Award

Postby Totallyclueless » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:44 pm

FredaBloggs wrote: Another to consider is Stagebox, which (for the London team) runs during school holidays rather than regularly during term-time. No direct experience, but I gather that they do like their kids to be signed up to their talent agency, which may or may not appeal to you.

This isn't the case many of the Elite and Develoment Team
Last edited by Totallyclueless on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Postby FredaBloggs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm

That's useful to know, Totallyclueless. I was basing the comment on a couple of friends whose DCs were offered places with London Stagebox but then felt under pressure to join the agency. Good to know it isn't standard as I've heard lots of good things about the training with Stagebox.

Return to “General Conversations”