Host Families

Chat with new friends about anything

Moderator: busybusybusy

Melba
Nominee

Host Families

Postby Melba » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi - nervous newbie here.

I'm hoping for some advice from other parents who have gone through the process of finding a host family for their child. My daughter's been offered an out of area place at the Brit School which leaves us in the position of finding accommodation for her. I'm really keen to hear from others about their experience and of any tips you picked up along the way. TIA

Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Re: Host Families

Postby Dogcop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 am

Do Brit school have a list of host families? Bird sent us a list of families, then we went and met them before we made a decision. Ds is in second year and will be staying with them for the whole 3 years. They are really lovely and treat him like one of the family

Melba
Nominee

Postby Melba » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 pm

We're hoping to be as lucky as you. Yes Brits have given us a list but it was last updated Jan 2017, so far the ones we liked have already taken on a student from last year's intake.

When did you start looking? - we did wonder if we were starting our search too early as we don't need the place until late August.

Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Postby Dogcop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:51 pm

We didn't look until July. Is there a Brit school students or parents facebook page that you can join? It would be good to get recommendations

Melba
Nominee

Postby Melba » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Yes there is a fb page, there's not many members though. I'm just waiting for admin to approve my request.

So you didn't look until July, okay then I'm definitely looking too early. I'm so anxious about finding her a good place that she'll feel comfortable with, I just want to get it organised. Perhaps I'll just put it on the back burner until after the exams.

Thanks for your comments.

bumble-bee
Nominee

Postby bumble-bee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi Mel ba

Congrats on your daughters place at the Brit sch, my ds spent 5 years there (year 10-14), I am one of the host families currently on the Brit sch list. Feel free to direct message me for more info.

Melba
Nominee

Postby Melba » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks Bumble bee - I've pm'd you :)

Return to “General Conversations”