agency contracts

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

siohip
GRAMMY Award

agency contracts

Post by siohip »

How do you all find these?

I have one which I've read again and again- it is too woolly and too one sided and doesn't incorporate best reasonable efforts..it mentions reasonable effort. Feel like running in opposite direction but are they all like this?
There is a standard commission on theatre,comercial and film. I don't feel confident at all.
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: agency contracts

Post by pg »

Mine is just a very simple letter of agreement setting out commission rates. If you're not happy, don't sign it. Or cross out the bits you don't like, then sign it and keep a copy.

I'm not sure that any mention of "reasonable efforts" on either side can be enforced (or, indeed, that it means anything remotely useful). It's quite hard to know what is "reasonable" when work is so very hard to come by and depends on so many things outside an agent's control. If an agent is not charging an up-front fee then they are likely to be making reasonable efforts on your behalf, otherwise they make no money! If you don't feel they are making reasonable efforts, then it needs a conversation to discuss what can be done to improve your chances of being seen - this could be things that the actor does, rather than the agent.

If it is asking you to make a "reasonable effort" to get to auditions, then I would check with the agent what they think this means. I can't imagine anyone who wants a job NOT making a reasonable effort to get to auditions to be honest! If you have a good reason for not going - then you have a good reason for not going, and that's that! An agent needs to discuss with the actor what his/her availability is like before they take them on in my opinion. My agent knows I will make the effort to attend auditions when I can - there is no need for this to be in a contract I don't think. ( If I can't go, or I don't think it's worth my while then I will say so). Similarly, I know that my agent will do her best to represent me and that it is in her best interests for me to be working. I can't ask for more than that.

I think the main thing to check is that you are not tied into an unreasonable notice period.

Interested to know what others think :)
Golightly
BRIT Award

Post by Golightly »

Last edited by Golightly on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siohip
GRAMMY Award

Post by siohip »

thanks pg - what do you think is an unreasonable notice period? This mentions 6 months.. I think my gut feeling is telling me to run, so I must just speak to them again. I feel like almost need an agent to deal with a potential agent!!! Always more difficult making decisions for dc's than oneself, and wanting to mae the right choice.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think 6 months is totally unreasonable.
I certainly wouldn't sign something that committed me to such a notice period. 4 to 6 weeks would seem reasonable to me.
siohip
GRAMMY Award

Post by siohip »

Bless you- I think so too. woolliness and 6 months notice made me feel uncomfortable. I may yet get that pen out, Percentage is high across board with no concession for children's theatre which is paid badly in general.