Billy Elliot - PG rating?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Billy Elliot - PG rating?

Post by Lolalou »

Took my 8 and 9 year old to see Billy Elliot as an Easter treat. Before I booked I looked at the Billy Elliot website to check suitability. The film is actually a 15 rating. Reassured by the 8+ recommendation and 'some strong language' I booked. Given the 8+ rating given by the producers of the show and the large cast of kids in it I expected that the show would be child friendly version of the film with perhaps an odd swear word thrown in (which would hopefully go over child heads). I'd recently seen Priscilla Queen of The Desert and Spamalot both of which have a recommendation of age 15+ suitability so I could be forgiven for expecting Billy to be mild in comparison.

At the risk of sounding like a maiden aunt I was shocked at the amount of swearing in the show. Far more than Priscilla and Spamalot. I've seen the film (loved it), understand the subject matter is 'gritty' - and I certainly didn't expect a Rodgers and Hammerstein but the swearing was unrelenting and coming out of the mouths of child characters mostly, which somehow made it worse?

I would not recommend the show to parents of children of primary school age and feel cross the producers are cynically cashing in on the 'family friendly' label by the 8+ rating/family tickets. The film is a 15 rating and I would say the show should reflect this recommendation. Speaking to several parents around me and overhearing conversations in the loo queue (where better) I realised I was not alone in this thinking. People might say kids would hear worse in the playground but not solidly for 2 and a half hours surely.

I thought the performances/music/dancing were all brilliant but....more tea vicar??
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Re: Billy Elliot - PG rating?

Post by possiblypushy »

I agree wholeheartedly with you Lolalou. My ds (aged 10) is very shocked by swearing and refuses to audition for anything with bad language, and yes, I know he hears stuff in the playground, but I don't think that makes it acceptable. (I did have to giggle when he told me that one of his friends had used the 'c' word - I was mortified until I found out that the word was 'crap' - phew! could have been much, much worse! :lol: ).

I'm sure for some children it is normal to hear and use swearwords, but it isn't how my ds's have been brought up. My 18 year old ds saw B.E. over six years ago as part of a school trip; when he came home he didn't mention the story, the singing or the dancing; even now, all he remembers was the amount of swearing, which he found 'stupid'.

It is a great show, with wonderful songs and dancing, but I really think they could do a toned-down version and it would still have the same appeal.
Last edited by possiblypushy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
singingdragon
BRIT Award

Post by singingdragon »

I'm another who'd agree wholeheartedly. We took our 7 and 9 year olds to see this recently and were surprised but how unrelenting the swearing was.

I had expected the bad language and a good friend had also warned us beforehand, so I wasn't completely surprised BUT it didn't feel necessary to me. Given the age of the children playing "Small boy" is around the 6 or 7 mark, I thought that it'd be reasonably suitable for DS (7) but now I'm not so sure.

TBH, we warned DD (9) about the language before we saw it and reminded her that what she hears on the stage or in the theatre was not to be repeated anywhere at home or school. I didn't mention to DS and he didn't appear to notice the language, nor did he point it out to me - he was so absorbed by the dance and music that I think it bypassed him BUT that doesn't mean it would bypass all of his age.

SingingD
Proud Mummy to 2 superstars in the making
Read more about M's journey with chronic illness here http://7yearstodiagnosis.wordpress.com/
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Well I'm playing devils advocate here ;)
I didn't think the swearing was unrelenting and to be honest the swear words that are used in Billy, my sons took absolutely no notice of it,tittered a bit and that was it!
I would be far more concerned about a show with violence in it.
Youngest Ds was 8 when he saw it first and found the whole Maggie Thatcher/80's strike theme more confusing than anything else...as someone who was there on the front line protesting with them in the 80s as a young student nurse, I find that aspect of history very moving, and did my best to explain it to them in a way they could understand.

I would have thought the 15 rating for the film was due to the beating up, not the use of swear words?? Don't know so not positive on that... And the reference to the scene between Debbie and Billy.... ;)

I think from a young age children can distinguish with proper support and parental guidance the difference between acting and a naughty word or a kid on a playground shouting in their face when pushing them around. I certainly would not have stopped my 8 year old from seeing the show despite the swearing.....it's words !set in the context of Billy's family and male environment I don't think it's over the top,
But that's me for ya!

My DS now at 12 is totally unfazed by swear words ignores them and doesn't repeat them (as far as I know)
I don't think the producers are cashing in, no it's not Wizard of Oz but I really don't see a problem..
Singing dragon , it's a shame that your older DS only pointed out the swearing... Such a small part if the show which is utterly mind-blowing...and no, my children haven't been brought up to swear as anyone who knows them would attest too, but they are well-grounded and swearing just isn't in their radar
Some of the sexual writhing and grinding in shows is far worse to try to explain ..... And I still won't let my 12 year old watch season 7 of Buffy!!
Last edited by riverdancefan on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
pinky3
GRAMMY Award

Post by pinky3 »

This is interesting - I had warned my DDs (aged 11 and 8) in the same way as singingdragon and they were completely mesmerised by the performances - especially the dancing. They understood that neither they, nor we, should ever use the kind of language that was used. It really wasn't a big issue for us.

More recently (and a bit stupidly), I was looking for a show to take my 8 year old dancing dd to, and decided on A Chorus Line which I had never seen before. I had read that it had 'some adult themes' (can't remember the exact wording) but thought it couldn't be as bad as Billy Elliot. Well - I sat there cringing and hoping my dd wouldn't understand what was being said half the time. I just kept feeding her sweets and saying 'great dancing!'. Having looked at a few booking websites now, they say 'Age restriction - 10+'. Needless to say, if I had taken my 11 year old it would have been even worse, as she would have asked me to explain all the interesting concepts that were raised!
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I have not seen the show so cannot comment. However, I do think even quite young children can understand the issue of context where bad language is concerned. I took both my DDs to rugby games from a very young age - youngest was about 5 - and we always stood up as it was far ceaper than sitting down. They certainly heard some choice words from some in the crowd :oops: :oops: but I always told them "if it's a word that me and your dad don't use then you don't use it either". That has always been the family yardstick - myself or DH have never used bad language in front of them - and it has worked. They are now 22 and 24 and while i am sure they swear etc when with their friends (as I do :D ) they would not dream of doing so in front of us.

They also saw their fair share of violence on the rugby pitch but that another story :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lolalou »

I just think the 8+ age recommendation is too young - I found as a whole the swearing (particularly with the kids) was gratuitous and unfortunately distracting from the show as a whole. Priscilla and Spamalot for example both have a 15+ rating due to language and the swearing is more prolific in Billy.
Swearing can be described as 'only words' - but for some younger children it can be intimidating when adults use these words and confusing when kids do - even on stage. Particularly when we try to teach our kids that swearing is not acceptable in 'real life'
I think I'm cross with myself really for not doing my homework on this one. Looking at the age recommendations for other shows aimed at adults I thought I would be ok with Billy. Naive maybe.
In the past my DS has had roles in productions with 'adult' themes and choice language. On both occasions the directors were scrupulous in protecting the children involved from it. Only part scripts were issued. Tannoys were turned off in dressing rooms and the child actors brought down for their scenes and taken straight back to the dressing rooms.
I just wonder how the BE producers arrived at the 8+ recommendation - still think primary school age is too young to listen to b******d/w*****r/t***t/s**t/f**k/b*****ks on a loop for 2.5 hours. Don't want to sound preachy - genuinely interested.
Last edited by Lolalou on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
singingdragon
BRIT Award

Post by singingdragon »

Whoops - not sure if you miss understood me RDF, or I wasn't clear? #-o

Neither DD (9) or DS (7) commented on the swearing as both were caught up in the story line, dancing and singing - just know that there *might* be others out there of a similar age who would have absorbed and re-used.

Loved the show, both kids loved the show but I found the swearing a little much for me (let alone for the children!).

SingingD
Read more about M's journey with chronic illness here http://7yearstodiagnosis.wordpress.com/
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

singingdragon wrote:Whoops - not sure if you miss understood me RDF, or I wasn't clear? #-o

Neither DD (9) or DS (7) commented on the swearing as both were caught up in the story line, dancing and singing - just know that there *might* be others out there of a similar age who would have absorbed and re-used.

Loved the show, both kids loved the show but I found the swearing a little much for me (let alone for the children!).

SingingD
Sorry simgingdragon! My fault , I meant to refer to possibly pushy's 18 year old !
I'm getting my pseudonyms muddled up :-#

X
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
singingdragon
BRIT Award

Post by singingdragon »

No problem - just made me chuckle...and slightly confused as it appeared I suddenly had an older DS I knew nothing about :lol:
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

singingdragon wrote:No problem - just made me chuckle...and slightly confused as it appeared I suddenly had an older DS I knew nothing about :lol:
I noticed my ds had been 'placed' with another mum! Sometimes I'd gladly give him away, but on the whole, I'd rather keep him thanks :D
Mummyaud
BRIT Award

Post by Mummyaud »

Interesting debate - my DD really wants to see this show and was planning to take her soon. She is 14 so old enough to deal with the more adult issues/swearing. As said above probably hears worse at school. However I hate swearing, can cope with the odd word here and there from performers if necessary to the authenticity of the piece but if its continuous throughout and from the children then maybe will get someone else to take her who is less easily offended by it.
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

I have seen it yesterday night with my ds aged 11 and in year 6. I am not English and didn't notice any heavy swearing (apart the obvious for me 3/4), this is because swearing in an other language does't really affect me. I asked my son and he said "Are you joking? They were swearing all the times, sometimes 10 times in a line". I asked him if it did bother him, and he said that he couldn't believe that children are payed to swear in front of a paying audience and he would love to do it :shock: (years of education down the drain :oops: ).
In our case that was more or less fine, but definitely I can't understand why they can't cut a big chunk of swearing out and raise the suggested age to 11+. I did enyoed it, but it is very long and with complicated social issues for under 11 (and they are a big part of the show, not just background). In this way they would make parents aware that it is not an "easy" children show.
Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lolalou »

begolina wrote: In our case that was more or less fine, but definitely I can't understand why they can't cut a big chunk of swearing out and raise the suggested age to 11+. I did enyoed it, but it is very long and with complicated social issues for under 11 (and they are a big part of the show, not just background). In this way they would make parents aware that it is not an "easy" children show.
I agree - a lot of the miner's strike and Maggie Thatcher references went completely over the children's heads. Definitely not an easy to follow show for children...still mystified at the 8+ rating - they don't even cover this period of history till secondary school.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

I took my 11-year-old on Kids Week tickets. He'd already seen the film (very selected highlights at first, but eventually the whole thing), and we'd discussed the issues raised by it. I don't think he had trouble following any of the story, or knowing what language isn't appropriate for him to use, though he assured me there wasn't anything he hadn't heard in the playground. He was completely inspired by the performances - I can't remember which Billy was on, but I think it was his first night and he was amazing. DS now has a recall for Billy in June, and I don't think he'd have wanted to apply if he hadn't seen the stage version.