Billy Elliot - PG rating?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Re: Billy Elliot - PG rating?

Post by Lolalou »

TalyaB wrote:I took my 11-year-old on Kids Week tickets. He'd already seen the film (very selected highlights at first, but eventually the whole thing), and we'd discussed the issues raised by it. I don't think he had trouble following any of the story, or knowing what language isn't appropriate for him to use, though he assured me there wasn't anything he hadn't heard in the playground. He was completely inspired by the performances - I can't remember which Billy was on, but I think it was his first night and he was amazing. DS now has a recall for Billy in June, and I don't think he'd have wanted to apply if he hadn't seen the stage version.
My 8 and 9 year olds hadn't seen the film - Given the musical age recommendation of 8 versus the film rating of 15 most of the people we've spoken to since were like us, expecting a watered down version of the film. When you consider Matilda has an age rating of 6+ and Billy 8+ and compare the two...I'd have preferred more of a heads up on the content before deciding whether it was appropriate.
That said I thought the performances were amazing, the dancing exhilirating - and while I found the swearing uncomfortable with my children in tow both of them thought the Billy we saw was brilliant.
Best of luck to your DS for his recall :D Everything crossed for him.
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

On the discscounttheatre.com there is an offer for tickets for Billy Elliot and specifically in black bold
Due to strong language, the show is recommended for ages 12 and up.
Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lolalou »

begolina wrote:On the discscounttheatre.com there is an offer for tickets for Billy Elliot and specifically in black bold
Due to strong language, the show is recommended for ages 12 and up.
Well that's a bit different to how the theatre are selling it!
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

Wonder how today's news will impact Billy Elliot this week? :shock:
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

I'm really interested by this debate.....my DD was in BE for a year so obviously we had the same conversation with her and her younger brother and they understood (at 12 and 10) the idea of only using bad language on stage not in real life....however, I was very concerned about my elderly mother and father coming to watch. My lovely mum (sadly no longer with us) used to get very angry about the use of swear words generally, and would regularly write to the TV companies to complain, but neither she, nor my dad were at all perturbed by the show. And when I asked her whether it had bothered her afterwards she said "oh no, not at all, it was all completely appropriate"!!!

I can only assume that they were so bowled over by the show that they failed to notice the swearing!!
ellis's mum
BRIT Award

Post by ellis's mum »

my dd is currently in the show she is 11 and is having the time of her life,having seen the show 20+ times i feel the swearing is an important part of the show as it is showing the audience how is was in that era, i have taken my niece who is 8 many times and she absolutely loves it, she knows swearing is wrong and that she is not to repeat it, everyone is different and has diffrrent opinikns so don't let the swearing put you off you should go and watch it as the pro's by far out do the con's :D x x