A sobering article

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

pg
OSCAR Award

A sobering article

Post by pg »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/ju ... ith-acting

...with not a lot of sympathy from those commenting on it beneath the article.

Whatever the reasons for the recent deaths I do think it underlines how vital it is to have a life around acting that provides you with love and laughter and somewhere safe and fulfilling to be when not acting.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Re: A sobering article

Post by Hecouldshine »

Really sobering :( :( :( I was horrified to keep seeing suicide after suicide after suicide of these actors in the news (plus drug death of Cory Monteith).
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

I do think that acting can be like a drug and does drive people to feel less valued when they're not taking part in something. I don't have that feeling myself as I can't sing, dance or act and have no desire to perform. However, my DC's who absolutely LOVE IT ALL - are devastated when they finish a show and there is nothing else to participate in. I know they're not quite there with some of the great acting legends - but I do think there is something to be said about either the type of personality this industry attracts, or that we need to be more mindful as parents of performing children/adults that this is a difficult industry and that success (or lack of it) can both be riddled with problems.

I am too saddened by the recent spate of needless suicides - such a tragic waste of some great talented individuals.
WendyB
BRIT Award

Post by WendyB »

Wow! That is quite depressing. Almost makes you wonder what it's all about.