Soul/R&B

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Soul/R&B

Post by jollyjelly »

At the risk of being controversial, I'm hoping someone can settle a 'subject of debate' that we have in our household at the moment... It's about Soul/R&B singing, typically female singers like Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston or those aspiring to sing like them (sorry not very familiar with many Soul artists names :oops: ) and whether the technique of putting as many notes in one vocal word as possible has a particular term? I've scoured the internet for this but cannot find a description of it any where? I won't go any further into the subject of female soul "vocalist" for fear of causing offense, but would be curious to hear other peoples views, and knowledge of this vocal style.

JJ x
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Soul/R&B

Post by riverdancefan »

DS calls it riffing but that's probably not the proper term :lol:
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

In opera it would be called melisma.
jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Post by jollyjelly »

riverdancefan wrote:DS calls it riffing but that's probably not the proper term :lol:
Genius!! =D> thank you and T. That's exactly it! just found this on google just by typing in Riffing in Singing http://voicecouncil.com/get-your-riffing-right/ It even has exercise sound examples further down the page!!
jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Post by jollyjelly »

islandofsodor wrote:In opera it would be called melisma.
EDIT

that sounds more like it too, judging by definitions found on google, although it does sound a bit like a strange illness too ;)

I'm always so impressed by the huge wealth of knowledge of many the NAPMers on here have! Makes me and ds's efforts feel a little pathetic at times. :oops: