Why is everything last minute?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

twirlymum
BRIT Award

Why is everything last minute?

Post by twirlymum »

Why do production companies always leave it to the last minute to cast kids? Surely they must know weeks if not months beforehand that they will be filming a commercial etc. I hate all the last minute panic with licenses, getting letters from schools etc. It seems to be getting more common now that they will pencil a child, and want them licensed before they are confirmed, which is very frustrating. It makes you look a bit silly asking the school for permission, and then saying they may need the time off, or may not. It adds so much work for councils too.
Our council works to a seven day turnaround, which isn't too bad, but some kids must lose out on so many opportunities if their council take longer.
We attended a casting last week, and when we got there, the CD asked if our council had a quick turnaround. Just do the casting earlier!!!!!
begolina
BAFTA Award

Re: Why is everything last minute?

Post by begolina »

I couldn't agree more. I think partially is our fault, we jump obstacles of all kind to make it happen and somehow, at the end, they have a child on set (if he/she is not your one, after all you did, they can't care less). It is the same thing for unpaid work, adult actors after years of very expensive training should refuse to work for free (who would ask an accountant to do the tax return for free so he can put it in his/her portfolio or for experience?).
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

begolina wrote: (who would ask an accountant to do the tax return for free so he can put it in his/her portfolio or for experience?).
I'm an accountant. I don't work in finance any more, but when I did you'd be surprised how many people asked me to do their tax return etc etc for free. I'm too old for anyone to think I need experience now, but back in the day that was often suggested as a reason I'd want to work for nothing.

Now I run a charity and many people just assume that we have a magic money tree in the back garden. I've checked. We don't. And, sadly, most people expect us to pay our bills with cash, so we have to get money to be able to do what we do.

So it's not just actors. Although that doesn't make anything any better, it's good to know we're not alone!

And as for the 'doing things last minute'....don't get me started!!!!

Deb x
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

I really can't believe it, Deb. I really thought only in tv/theatre/film industry there was this sort of exploitation (as far as I knew only journalists were expecting to work for free, at least in Italy, for the "privilege" to be a journalist - my experience).
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Deb, we have had this as an architectural practice we often get asked by charities/ play groups/ churches etc to do things for free! Once dd went for an audition for a charity promotional video - no fee, then on the form we were filling in it asked if our line of work was one that would be willing to offer services to them free such as plumbers, decorators, ACCOUTANTS etc, I wrote no, she didn't get the job!
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

twirlymum wrote:Why do production companies always leave it to the last minute to cast kids? Surely they must know weeks if not months beforehand that they will be filming a commercial etc. I hate all the last minute panic with licenses, getting letters from schools etc. It seems to be getting more common now that they will pencil a child, and want them licensed before they are confirmed, which is very frustrating. It makes you look a bit silly asking the school for permission, and then saying they may need the time off, or may not. It adds so much work for councils too.
Our council works to a seven day turnaround, which isn't too bad, but some kids must lose out on so many opportunities if their council take longer.
We attended a casting last week, and when we got there, the CD asked if our council had a quick turnaround. Just do the casting earlier!!!!!

My dh was asking this very question today. I had no reply :D
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

Just filled out the license application- says at least 21 days needed but shoot starts in 14 days :shock:
olipops
Nominee

Post by olipops »

I know what you mean, we've received all our information for castings the day before and usually quite late in the afternoon. It is just about doable for me during the school holidays but during term time it can be very difficult because I have other children who are school age to consider. My daughter was short-listed for a part recently, luckily we got the licensing through within three days only to be told they'd gone for the other girl who was older. I am not sure how it will all work once my Daughter goes into reception class because I won't be able to just take out her out of school on such short notice anyway. :?
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

Hope your DD was ok with what happened - must be a bit like discovering xmas was cancelled and is so unfair on children and their families.