Kissing!

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

J-G
BRIT Award

Kissing!

Post by J-G »

Just turned down a casting which would have involved my 10 year old dd kissing (more than a brief one) a boy. Any experiences or thoughts?
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Re: Kissing!

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

I have no experience of kissing in roles but would say that you are right to turn down anything which you feel is unsuitable for your child. At 10, no matter how mature they are, I would feel it is entirely your decision and the well being of your child should be your prime concern - as it obviously is.

At 9 my DS had a lead in an adult horror drama - his 1st role actually and he played a possessed autistic boy who recited the last rights in Latin while his eyes went completely black! The worst bit for him was seeing the pictures of the other actors in make-up; filming - even the scenes where he had to attempt to murder his brother - was so fragmented, repetitive and often dull that it doesn't seem anything like real. Don't think I'd have let him be involved in anything even remotely sexual though - that would be different.

Go with your gut and stick to your guns x
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

I also wouldn't have let my 10-year old do a kissing role if it's any help :)
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

At that age, mine wouldn't even let his grandma give him a peck on the cheek! I'd probably have given him the choice, but I think it would have been a no.
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

If I even suggest kissing another person to my 10 year old he looks at me in disgust. Think that would have been the decider!! ha. Definitely go with your instinct. If you don't feel comfortable with it then its not for them. If they like your child enough they may keep them on record for another project =D>
J-G
BRIT Award

Post by J-G »

Thank you for the replies and sharing the interesting scary film experience. My dd has done pretty well in a few theatre auditions but we are quite new to all this and this is the first thing of this nature so we weren't sure how common such a request was. Hopefully something more appropriate for her will come along. We didn't want to go and then mess the casting director about saying no later as we were quite firm in our views that it wouldn't be right.
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

I think honesty is the best policy and it really depends on you and on your child. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules - and what suits one child isn't necessarily best for another. I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you both, and there will be plenty of other opportunities along the way.
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Have you tried talking to the Director? Twice my ds has done this (at 13 and at 17). The first time was a line he did not like in an audition and he was allowed to omit it. The second was on set when he was playing the lead and there were two things he was not happy with. My ds was very polite about it but chatted to the Director and both times the Director agreed. I guess it depends on how vital it is to the script as to whether a Director will do this or not. Go with gut instinct. If it feels wrong and you are (and especially if your child is) not happy then turn the role down. There will be other opportunities and nothing is worth upsetting your dd. If you have an agent then get them to discuss it with the Director as they will have the experience and knowledge of the industry to know how to proceed. Also anything on film can come back to haunt them. Best to be safe. Good luck to your dd in all she undertakes in the future :D :D
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I'm not even sure it is allowed is it? The license situation has considerable protection from the kids seeing certain sort of activity on set or on stage. 10 seems a bit young to me for my comfort, but I suppose mud depends on her own maturity and wishes - I agree that most kids that age would be thinking yuk!
sandiek123
BRIT Award

Post by sandiek123 »

My 12 year old dd was also called for this and, on reading the script, she flatly refused to do it! I already had reservations, but I thought it should be her call.
J-G
BRIT Award

Post by J-G »

Thank you for your replies. Being only 10, even if she was happy about it, we wouldn't have let her. It was integral to the storyline etc. Being a film also an extra concern as then always out there. Shame but happily rehearsing for her next performance (where only intimate bits involve hugging her 'brother' and kissing Father Xmas)!!
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Great it all worked out. It also started a conversation in my house too about what DD would be ok with and what I'd be ok with, so quite thought provoking. Thankfully we both agreed x