Audition songs

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Kingfisher
Nominee

Audition songs

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi there,

Hoping you (much more) experienced people can help a newbie!

DS has an audition for Matilda Tour in a couple of weeks and we need to prepare an audition song. He hasn't done any MT before - only screen work so we are a little lost. He likes "How Far I'll Go" from Moana (not a legit MT song, I realise) and also knows "Any Dream Will Do" from Joseph. Are these suitable choices? Is it important that it's a legit song - or does it just need to be a song that suits his voice? Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Re: Audition songs

Postby RoseTowers4 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:07 pm

:) Hi Kingfisher, I don't know the first song but the second one sounds fine. They just need to hear if they can hold a tune to begin with I think. My ds says they sing in front of everyone so prepare him for that.

Tobemory
BRIT Award

Postby Tobemory » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Something MT that he can sing confidently and comfortably. Joseph is great. I am told the dance is the main element. My DS friend was in and his voice is just ok but he is a super dancer.

biscuitsneeded
GRAMMY Award

Postby biscuitsneeded » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't think it matters what they sing (within reason!) as long as they demonstrate that they are confident and can carry a tune. Get him to sing both to you and see which one sounds best. Suspect Joseph might be easier. DS is also going to this and had suggested a few songs. Suddenly came up with a new idea at the weekend and it suits him so well it's what we're going with - even though I am sure it's a song they have heard 1000 times. There aren't any prizes for being original - DS got a recall last time with 'Consider yourself' so even an obvious choice is fine.

Kingfisher
Nominee

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Great. Thanks for your replies! He's come up with a few more choices since - so now feeling more confident we'll find something. Yes, Tobermory - can imagine they have to be very strong dancers. Hope he's up to it. Good luck to your DS Biscuits!

Return to “Can You Help?”