Brain AVM

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Re: Brain AVM

Post by Genevieve »

nextinline wrote:Don't know if you saw the BBC programme last night about the neuro-ciritical unit: this was where my nephew was and the film crew were there filming when we were there.
I saw the programme - It was very upsetting, but when you see how difficult it is for the families involved it is impossible to even remotely consider how hard it must be. You just want to 'will' them all to get better and recover. The staff there were truly amazing.
heart warming and so very positive that your nephew recognises people when they visit and pray that he continues to improve.
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

I saw the programme - heartbreaking and yet it showed that sometimes even when there seems to be no hope(as in Richard's case, there can be, and not to write people off too soon. So glad your nephew is still making progress.
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Thanks for the good wishes. I remember all three of the patients and their families in the programme. The male patient (Richard) featured was in the next bed to my nephew. Really important to make a film like this but glad my sister said no as I am not sure I would want to watch him back in the situation he was in then. My nephew still seems to have a sense of humour apparantly as sometimes if he doesn't want to see his visitors he shuts his eyes tight. He always responds well to his immediate family, especially his Mum and Grandma. My Mum asked him if he knew what she was saying and he managed to lift his thumb and wiggle it a little. This is a huge step for us.
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

My nephew has had a bit of bad week so hopefully it will get sorted out soon.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Hope every thing gets sorted out for him after him doing so well hope he is a bit better today
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Really bad day today, news not very encouraging but still hoping
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Sorry to hear that nextinline, he sounds like such a strong lad though, hopefully he will find that again - thinking of you all, it must be so very difficult xx
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Just an update, it is with sadness that I have to say that the long term prognosis is not at all good. I finally explained the whole situation to my kids and took them to see him a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't sure if my 10 year old dd would cope but she was brilliant. My 16 year old was surprised that he was able to respond to us a little. To anybody else wondering whether to take their children to see a relative under such circumstances it was definately the right thing to do in our case as it has given the kids a perspective on what they have been hearing about the situation. I found that being careful about how I explained it helped. My dd says she is glad she went. Visited yesterday and he did know I was there. Feels very strange to have my eldest ds off to Sixth Form College and my nephew so ill. Thanks for all the good wishes.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

I'm really sorry to hear about your nephew's poor prognosis nextinline. Is it looking like there isn't going to be any further recovery now? What a very sad situation for you and your family to face. It's amazing what younger children can understand about illness. I'm glad your children coped so well.

Thinking of you all,

Best wishes x
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
Hollywood
BRIT Award

Post by Hollywood »

Just caught up with this Nextinline.

So sorry to hear the sad news, what a absolute shame, i hope he's hanging on in there, he's been such a fighter.
Just goes to show how unpredictable this illness is, we have been so happy because our cousin has just received her driving licence back after a long recovery - how bitter sweet that seems on hearing your news, so sorry for you all :(
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Really glad to hear that your cousin is doing so well Hollywood :D . My nephew had a better day yesterday and responded well to his Mum. It won't be long now until it is a year round and he is still hanging in there.
doris
GRAMMY Award

Post by doris »

I hope the news stays positive for your nephew and all your family [-o<
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Shortly it will be the year round for my nephew since it happened. He is still much the same but we are so glad he is still fighting on.
Luckymum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Luckymum »

hope things improve soon NIL [-o< [-o< [-o< your nephew is a fighter and our thoughts are with him
Winners never quit and quiters never win xxx

Be Lucky ;-)
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

He is an incredible fighter - will keep everything crossed that he starts to make positive progress - what an awful year for you and your family, who must also have amazing strength xxxxx