is it worth getting headshots done?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

cupcake13
BRIT Award

is it worth getting headshots done?

Post by cupcake13 »

hi,
i am fourteen years old and live in south yorkshire,i am very passionate about performing, especially musical theatre however for most musical theatre parts at the moment i am either 'too tall' or 'too young' so most of the jobs that seem to suit me are things like short films, which is great for experience and all, but seeing as i have not got a headshot i can not audition for them as it usually says send in a proffessional photo. Also, if i did want an agent, if you don't get discovered you usually have to send them your CV and headshot! I emailed a local photographer and he said he would do me two photos, one retouched for £40, which comparing it to other photographers seems a reasonable price. So my main question is, do you think it's worth getting headshots done? Thanks a lot :)
**Never give up**
ziggy
BRIT Award

Re: is it worth getting headshots done?

Post by ziggy »

At your age you would have to have new ones done every year which would obv add up. But you could try local colleges/unis since peeps might want to get experience so will do them for free =D> .
Id say wait till your 18 to get profess one done so they could last 5 years instead.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I agree! See whether anyone in your family knows a keen amateur photographer. If you have it taken outside in natural light, this may help. Make sure there are no distracting backgrounds ( no fence posts growing out of your head or tree branches growing out of your ears!).

Take a look at Casting Call Pro and show the photographer what professional actors' headshots look like, so they know what kind of thing to aim for. All you really need is a good, clear, tightly cropped head and shoulders shot that looks like you. There's no need to spend lots of money at the moment. If you go to the photographer you emailed, make sure that they understand the kind of thing you need. In my experience, portrait photographers are more used to trying to make people "look good", which is not what an actor's photo needs to be.
ziggy
BRIT Award

Post by ziggy »

cupcake13 wrote:hi,
i am fourteen years old and live in south yorkshire,i am very passionate about performing, especially musical theatre however for most musical theatre parts at the moment i am either 'too tall' or 'too young' so most of the jobs that seem to suit me are things like short films, which is great for experience and all, but seeing as i have not got a headshot i can not audition for them as it usually says send in a proffessional photo. Also, if i did want an agent, if you don't get discovered you usually have to send them your CV and headshot! I emailed a local photographer and he said he would do me two photos, one retouched for £40, which comparing it to other photographers seems a reasonable price. So my main question is, do you think it's worth getting headshots done? Thanks a lot :)
Also, obviously, be careful talking to strangers. There are lots of wierdo that will offer you free pics check them out, ask friends and dont go alone obv. Colleges/Unis are safer since you do them on campus etc. Also they should have a white/light background.
cupcake13
BRIT Award

Post by cupcake13 »

Thanks very much for all of your advice, and its ok i know that photographer is safe as he did some work with my drama school :)
**Never give up**