Child agent in " Frozen North"

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

sparkledust65
Nominee

Child agent in " Frozen North"

Post by sparkledust65 »

Hi, I am new to this world and looking for a reputable agent for my dd(think that is the term! ) aged 9 in Manchester,Staffordshire or Liverpool. Through my research I have found lots in London of course, but if anyone knows of and agent north of Birmingham that would be great. Thanks :-k
magictrix
Nominee

Re: Child agent in " Frozen North"

Post by magictrix »

There is an agency called EKA, Eurokids, in Warrington. Check out their website.
They do get some work for kids, BUT you have to pay for a cd copy of your (free) photos..Pics are good, though, nothing dodgy about them, you are with your child at all times.
They expect children registered with them to attend Saturday workshops, once a month - so not too onerous. My dd was with them several years ago, had intermittent but interesting work through them..also enjoyed the workshops ( at that time they were £15 a go) on a PAYG basis. They get casting directors to come to them, so in my opinion were great experience and exposure.
Kids from as far away as Hull and Newcastle attended when we were involved!
Check the site search for other people's opinions too, but, for my dd, they definitely improved her audition/workshop confidence and helped her get a few little bits of work!
Hope this helps xx
"teach love and respect for all living things"...the ultimate magic trick!
nancyboo

Post by nancyboo »

We were with EK for two years and never even got a call from them, unaware of the 'school' as it wasn't even mentioned to us, though Im not sure I would've approved of an agent selling us something else in order to bother looking for work for us. They also provided us with several sets of the worst 'professional' photos my child has ever had taken. I myself have heard nothing but bad things on the grapevine, as regards this agent, but it depends what you want, obviously. I would recommend Chilli Kids and Tuesdays Child, who I can thoroughly recommend as having a great amount of work, lots of contacts, clients and work all over the country, cheap set up fees, no hidden costs or agenda and professional yet friendly and helpful staff and definately not the type to take on just anyone (nod and a wink)xx
Last edited by nancyboo on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
sparkledust65
Nominee

Post by sparkledust65 »

nancyboo wrote:We were with EK for two years and never even got a call from them, unaware of the 'school' as it wasn't even mentioned to us, though Im not sure I would've approved of an agent selling us something else in order to bother looking for work for us. I myself have heard nothing but bad things on the grapevine, as regards this agent, but it depends what you want, obviously. I would recommend Chilli Kids and Tuesdays Child, who I can thoroughly recommend as having a great amount of work, lots of contacts, clients and work all over the country, cheap set up fees, no hidden costs or agenda and professional yet friendly and helpful staff and definately not the type to take on just anyone (nod and a wink)xx
Thank you both so much for the advice and your pm nancyboo. The more I look the more muddled I become! many of these agents seem to be looking for child models, I don't want my dd to get involved in modeling mainly because I don't want her to become obsessed with how she looks, but I guess it is easy to make a phone call and find out. Thanks :)
nancyboo

Post by nancyboo »

Hi. I believe you are entitled to inform the agent that you only wish to be put forward for the acting jobs, certainly we did. I believe TC do extra work, as do many of the others, but CK actually have a seperate acting department and offer more varied acting work and I do know for certain that many of their actors do not work as models and are not registered with that section of their business, so it would seem to me that CK may be a good place for you to make enquiries.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think it would be worth while getting hold of a copy of "Contacts". You can get second hand copies (e.g. a 2008 copy) very cheaply on Amazon market place.

There aren't all that many agents listed outside London (couple of dozen rather than hundreds) so it wouldn't really take all that long to ring round most of them and find out a bit more about their selection procedures, the sort of work they concentrate on - that kind of thing.

I have a lot of reservations about EK (happy to expand via pm if you like!) but I'm afraid I don't know much about children's agencies generally as my children didn't really do any professional work as children (though ds now working professionally as an adult and dd hoping to after college).

I live not far from Manchester. If you're brave enough, it might be worth ringing Beverley Keogh's office ( casting director) and asking whether anyone there could tell you which agencies they use. I would think this would be a good way of finding out which agencies get calls for drama rather than modelling.
magictrix
Nominee

Post by magictrix »

"nod and wink!" ?????
does this imply that "just anyone" can get taken on by EKA??
oo meow meow.!! :mrgreen:

IF you are accepted by them, they do a good quality FREE photoshoot..you only pay if you choose to have a copy of your pics on cd.

Workshopping experience in front of good, well-accredited CDs was an excellent, good value choice, not imposed as a moneymaking scam.It was OPTIONAL.
Don't people pay small fortunes for summer workshops/summer schools at SY etc.?
I have had no connections with EKA for several years, agents change, personnel come and go, I did suggest checking out others more up-to-date knowledge but feel, not for the first time, that posts on here should be made with thoughtfulness and responsibility.
Honestly, keep the sniping for PMs, especially when attacking professional credibility... ](*,)
Am sadly reminded why I chose to give this site a miss for so long!! Shame coz there are such a lot of great, kind and truly supportive people on site..Hi pg! :D

Both of my now young adult kids are with excellent agents, get great jobs thankyou..and my dd did NO modelling work, ONLY acting and TV with EKA.
I post on here to HELP and ENCOURAGE others.
Good luck with your search, sparkledust!
"teach love and respect for all living things"...the ultimate magic trick!
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

Hi

Some agencies in the North are (in no particular order) Pulse, Boss, Nemesis, Chilli Kids (quite new), DK Models (local to Yorkshire), Urgan Angels North (based in Durham but majority of castings Manchester). These are a mix of acting/modelling some are also sole.

My youngest DS is with a brand new agency called Kreative Talent. They are based in Middlesbrough but keen to promote models/actors in the North of England. They do prefer their people to be in Spotlight but the lady who owns it works 24/7. The website is just going live in the next few weeks but they have secured some nice jobs since opening. My little DS is currently on BBC1 in a Cbeebies promo singing a naughty version of "Twinkle, Twinkle" and that came through her. PM me if you want any further info.

Work in the North is much more sparse than London, whether that will change when the BBC move up North we will have to wait and see :D Good Luck with your search.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Panda wrote:My little DS is currently on BBC1 in a Cbeebies promo singing a naughty version of "Twinkle, Twinkle"
Oh, he's just gorgeous! I saw that for the first time recently and it really tickled me. Well done to him!
sparkledust65
Nominee

Post by sparkledust65 »

Thank you all so much. You type something into "space" and you get lots of helpful advice back, just when you think no one is listening :) Not sure if I am brave enough for the direct approach, but I guess sometimes that pays off. Thanks again all
nancyboo

Post by nancyboo »

magictrix evidently you got out of the bed the wrong side this morning, but given that I didnt criticise your post I find your own personal, offensive and inappropriate. You evidently seem to feel I am referring to you. Understand, I am not referring to you, your children, your experience, your oppinion, nor your post. My post was entirely about me, my child and our experience of EKA. Mine was factual and based on personal experience, which is more recent than your own, by your own admission. I too made the post for informational purposes and I did also PM. Re: "teach love and respect for all living things"...the ultimate magic trick! - maybe you should consider taking your own advice.
cookycrew
GRAMMY Award

Post by cookycrew »

Hi Panda!

I think the advert is fab! Well done to your dd/ds (not sure which one is yours) :D =D>
Grace125
GRAMMY Award

Post by Grace125 »

I have no experience of them myself but I have heard good things about linton management, who have an office in Manchester
cupcake13
BRIT Award

Post by cupcake13 »

hi i was just wondering whether anyonehad any experience with chilli kids? They seem good, but perhaps more into TV and film and my DD is more into theatre? Do you think its worth sending off a CV anyway? :)
**Never give up**
nancyboo

Post by nancyboo »

Hi. We've been with Chilli Kids. I'm not sure about theatre, as my child isn't interested, so we didn't apply. All I can say is that they have lots of work, lots of contacts, they only take you on if they really do believe they can get you work and they have a professional yet friendly and helpful manner. Personally I'd definately recommend them. If you're really after theatre then why not give them a call and ask how much, if any, theatre work they get and that would help you decide.