help getting a licence

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

mummyofmany
BRIT Award

help getting a licence

Post by mummyofmany »

can anybody help - i need to get a licence for my son as he has reached his 4 day limit of filming in the last 6 months and has another project coming up and i dont know where to start, can anybody help at all?

Mummy to an aspiring actor
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Re: help getting a licence

Post by missmoneypenny »

I'm afraid I can't help, but would be interested too to hear from someone who can as we will have the same problem in a couple of weeks :( I had no idea they were limited to 4 days in 6 months

Let's hope the clever people on here can offer some solutions :)
Last edited by missmoneypenny on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Oh silly me :oops: I completely misread your question - I now see you mean you have not got a licence, but have used up the 4 days that your child can perform, unpaid, without a licence. For an awful moment I thought they could only have a licence for 4 days in 6 months!!

When we have had to get licensed the company has sent a Part 1 to the LEA, I complete a Part 2 (available from your agent or online at your LEA's website) along with a doctors letter, a school letter (if in school time) a copy of birth certificate and 2 passport photos. Recently my LEA has let me email all of this in, which is fantastic!

Some LEA's are very quick and efficient, but I have heard of others that really stick to the 21 day rule - hopefully you won't be with one of these :(

Lots of luck and hope you get sorted x
mummyofmany
BRIT Award

Post by mummyofmany »

Do you have any idea where the students would get a part 1 from, they don't seem to think they need to do anything and that it's down to me to get the licence, I don't think they have done this before either!
Mummy to an aspiring actor
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Our LEA has the whole licence on the website which you can download as a pdf - I am not certain if they are the same across the country - but check your LEA site and see if it's there, if not I am happy to email you a copy of the Herts one, just pm me :)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I would recommend that you ask/tell the students to urgently discuss the matter of licensing with their own head of department wherever they are studying so that they can get the guidance they need. It is ridiculous that they don't know the ins and outs of this. It is not up to you to get the licence (although you will have a vital part to play in providing information to enable a licence to be issued) and you can't get it without their involvement as they will need to supply information about the production.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

A friend of mine was advised recently that the '4 day rule in 6 mth without a licence' does not apply anymore & you need a licence for any work (pd or unpaid)- can anyone elaborate on that?

Oh & mmummyofmany, try your LEA website - ours has a license form on it to download - perahps yours does? good luck!
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

This is a quote from the report by Sarah Thane re the current licence arrangements and recommendations for how to update them. Paragraph 18 gives refers to the 4 day rule.

quote....

'18 An important exception to the licensing law is where a child (or someone on behalf
of the child) is not paid (other than for expenses); in such circumstances a licence
is not required for up to 4 days of performance in any six month period. In addition
there are exemptions for performances put on by a school or approved Body of
Persons (as long as no payment is made to the child for their participation beyond
expenses). At present, local authorities grant Body of Persons approvals to amateur
production companies/societies, although numbers and practice vary considerably
from local authority to local authority.'

Hope that helps.
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

thanks Tikka - ceratinly clarifies situation :D
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

Here is the link to the whole document, originally posted by obsteve

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/everychildmatter ... erformers/

I found it really helpful to clarify what the rules say. From discussions on this site it sounds like many LA staff could do with reading through it! :lol: ;)