is it worth leaving home at 16 to go a theatre school?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

cupcake13
BRIT Award

is it worth leaving home at 16 to go a theatre school?

Post by cupcake13 »

hi,
my DD is 14 at the moment, she is very into the whole theatre scene and has singing, acting and dancing lessons. She was telling me the other day how she couldn't imagine herself doing anything else except theatre, and i believe her as she is very committed and loves every minute. She also keeps dropping hints about leaving home at 16 to attend a musical theatre school such as Liverpool theatre school. I don't really want her to leave home at what i see as a young age, but if it would help her career is it worth it? And if it is do you know of any really good musical theatre colleges/schools near sheffield? Thanks a lot :)
**Never give up**
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: is it worth leaving home at 16 to go a theatre school?

Post by pg »

As I understand it, it will be difficult to get funding for theatre training at 16 so this is an important consideration.
She could certainly consider a B Tech in Performing Arts as this will have a more practical base than A levels (she probably wouldn't have to leave home for this, lots of colleges and schools have this option).

Perhaps you could suggest that she looks at www.ncdt.co.uk and considers all the advice and information they give about training for a career in the performing arts? The recommendation there is to look at post 18 training at drama school.
cupcake13
BRIT Award

Post by cupcake13 »

pg wrote:As I understand it, it will be difficult to get funding for theatre training at 16 so this is an important consideration.
She could certainly consider a B Tech in Performing Arts as this will have a more practical base than A levels (she probably wouldn't have to leave home for this, lots of colleges and schools have this option).

Perhaps you could suggest that she looks at http://www.ncdt.co.uk and considers all the advice and information they give about training for a career in the performing arts? The recommendation there is to look at post 18 training at drama school.

Thanks a lot, i will show her the website and we will have a chat :)
**Never give up**
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

My DD did a BTEC in Performing Arts so if you want to know anythging about that then feel free to ask :)

She is now auditioning for post 18 acting courses and feels it prepared her well.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
dadadance
BRIT Award

Post by dadadance »

If she is looking for Musical theatre training then funding is available for 16 year olds and alot of 16 year olds apply. If you look on directgov they have a list of all schools which offer DADA funded places both musical theatre and drama.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /DG_066558
GEORGIEROSE
GRAMMY Award

Post by GEORGIEROSE »

My dd doing btec in performing arts,very local,very free-hopes to audition for further training at 18-she didn't want the trial of A levels and this course is practical based and does allow a route to uni if do well in it.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I wasn't aware that DADA funded places were available for musical theatre and drama for 16 year olds. I know that there are DADA funded places for 16 year old dancers but I thought all the MT and drama courses which had DADA awards were for 18 plus?

Which schools have DADA awards for MT and drama for 16 year olds? I'm not questioning the information, I'd just really love to find out as I know so many young people who are interested in MT!
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

Hi
Just had a look hoping to find drama courses for 16 year olds but the links I followed said that you had to be 18 for drama. Dance places are available for 16 year olds...but we don't do dance...and there were a few schools doing dance/music .
dadadance
BRIT Award

Post by dadadance »

Laines Theatre Arts and Urdang both offer musical theatre courses with Dada's for 16 year olds. These are ones we know children have gone to at 16 on musical theatre courses.

The Dada booklet says you must be over 16 for a dance course and 18 for acting and stage management. Doesn't mention musical theatre on it's own.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Thanks for that information dadadance. It's good to know!