BTEC or A level

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

katedancing
Nominee

BTEC or A level

Post by katedancing »

Hi I need help.

My school which I really like , 6th form takes BTEC Drama but not A level Drama as I hoped .

Should I move on to another collage to take A level. I really want to go on to University,Rada or Acting Collage to study for a Degree in acting .

Which qualification from your experience would give me the best chance of entry to a degree course do you think.

Thank you for your time
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: BTEC or A level

Post by pg »

Drama schools which have "maintained" funding including RADA will probably have academic entry requirements and they will specify these in the prospectus (it's often 2 A levels or equivalent). However, I think you will find that the BTEC will carry as much weight with drama schools as A levels. It might be different for some Universities.

I can say with certainty that for a BA in Acting from drama schools the most important thing is your audition - not your academic qualifications.

I hope that's some help!
ziggy
BRIT Award

Post by ziggy »

Some drama school dont care if you dont have ANY qualifcations. Its mainly down to your audition/experiences.

BTW, you can do a BTEC with 1 alevel. that might be hard doing a full Alevel, but you could do AS at least.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

BTEC is accepted as equivalent to A levels by universities as well as drama schools. I know of students with appropriate BTECs get into courses such as Dentistry, English, Sports Science etc. Distinction at BTEC is worth the same number as UCAS points as an A grade at A level. I know your question was about acting courses, wher the auditionis everything, but just wanted to clear any misconceptions up :)

The mani difference is how you learn i guess. BTECs are far more practical, there is still a one third written element but you do far more practical activities than at A level. If than is how you learn best and enjoy learning, then it may be for you. However, if you enjoy the academic side of learning, you may prefer A levels.One thing I would advise os asking about results for each of the courses, and also destinations after 18. That will also give you an idea of how well the respective courses are taught.

Hope this helps - my DD did a BTEC Performing Arts, though I am Head of a Sixth Form, so I think I get quite a balanced view ;)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
summer66
Nominee

Post by summer66 »

My DD did a BTEC in Performing Arts (Acting) and an A Level English Literature, as well as a BTEC National Award in Stage Management in the second year. She did enjoy being at a college rather than school and was pleased that she took on the additional BTEC and A level as the contact hours for the BTEC did not fill the week as some time is allowed for individual study. The only thing I would say is that although she enjoyed the practical elements of the course she found it frustrating that a percentage of people taking the course did not really have any interest in the performing arts and had only taken the course because they thought it would be an easy option. The drop out rate was quite high and some of the class were disruptive, didnt turn up for rehearsals etc etc. She had to be really focussed to get out of it what she did (Triple Distinction Performing Arts, Distinction for Stage Management and a C at A Level). It would be worth trying to find out from people that have already attended the course at the institution you are considering as the quality is obviously dependent on the background, training etc of the tutors delivering the course. I dont think it really matters which path you take, the most important thing is that you are happy with whatever you decide on.
katedancing
Nominee

Post by katedancing »

Hi
Thank you to every one for all your help,you all have been so helpful
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Summer 66, I know how frustrated your DD must have been, that's why I always advise doing your homewaork on the course and the teachers. My DDs BTEC culdn't have been different, many of her tachers had gone to Drama school and they ran the course on those lines - blacks to be worn at all times, no entry to class in over 5 Min late, all absences explained, if not phone call home (I had one at 6.00 at night!!) and well disciplined classes. They also had very full days, far more contact hours than for A level courses - one day in her final year my DD only had a 30 min break from 9.30-4.30 :shock: :shock: There were also often extra rehearsals, dance classes etc for my Dd to attend, as well as frequeny trips to theatres and also lots of live performances to put on, both for the public and schools etc. She actually wanted to study an AS level as well, was told it wasn't possible if she wanted to get the most from the course, and once she was on it realised she would never have managed it :shock:

It was quite tough at the time, especially when her friends who did A levels had so much spare time, but I think it gave her a taste of a drama school day. The point I am making I think is that a BTEC course more than A levels I think depends so much on the staff and their experience/expectations. So again - ask questions, visit the course (my DD went along and observed classes for a day as well as doing the open evening) before you make your choice. Ask about the teachers - what they have done, their experience etc. " of my DDs had trained at RADA, another at Central, another at BOV and a cuple at RWCMD. Of course others had done more conventional routes through university, but there was a good mix and excellent advice from them regarding both what to do at 18 and also a realistic assesment of their suitabilty for further training - which is what atrue vocational course should do.

Sorry to be so long winded :) .
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
ziggy
BRIT Award

Post by ziggy »

[quote="summer66"]. The only thing I would say is that although she enjoyed the practical elements of the course she found it frustrating that a percentage of people taking the course did not really have any interest in the performing arts and had only taken the course because they thought it would be an easy option. quote]

EMA? This is what happens, you end up with people that couldnt care less about the course or their education and just go for the money... (but it does help a few peeps)