Agents in London/Essex!?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

LiveTheDream..x
Nominee

Agents in London/Essex!?

Post by LiveTheDream..x »

Sorry if you're bored of posts like this but I'm really stuck in finding a good and reasonable agent!
I'm a 17 year old girl and I sing and act. Aswell as dance (a bit). I've done projects with the Youth Music Theatre and stuff like that.

But how do you go about finding an agency? Do you have to audition for them? Or give in a CV? What is the process?

Could I apply to agencys such as Sylvia Young? Or am I too old?
What agencys would you recommend?

I'm interested in doing Musical Theatre, Theatre, Acting for TV and modeling.

I'd appreciate it very much if you could give me some advice! Thank You :)
watchthisspace
BRIT Award

Re: Agents in London/Essex!?

Post by watchthisspace »

Have a look for some agencies that you think we suit you; There are plenty that you can hear about via this website.

Once you found a few you'd be happy to be represented by, send them a copy of your CV, a headshot and possibly a cover letter (though this is not mandatory) via post.

If you're lucky, you'll get some responses, most likely asking you to go in and audition/interview.

It's a really hard thing to do (get signed) so don't get disheartened if you don't hear right away!

Hope I've helped :)
watchthisspace
BRIT Award

Post by watchthisspace »

As for agencies, maybe look at some of these:

A&J
CS Management
MArk Jermin
Susie Earnshaw
Hall James
LiveTheDream..x
Nominee

Post by LiveTheDream..x »

Thank You! I will look into all of those.
I don't have profesional headshots and to get them i'm sure it's extremely expensive. Do you think it is okay to senf off a head shot created at home? Seeing as my dad has a profesional camera and I could use a normal white background??
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hello LiveTheDream.

The difficulty you will face is that you are now in competition with a huge number of people looking for agency representation. As you approach the 18 - 25 age range you get to the most overcrowded bit of the profession.

Although some agents do take people on after auditioning them, this does tend to be more common for young performers. You may still count as a young performer - I'm not sure! When adults apply to agents then it is far more common (if the agent is interested in your CV and photo) for them to ask you to let them know when you are in something they can come and see. A decent agent will not take you on without meeting you and without establishing what you can do. Normally they will expect to see you in a show, a showcase, on TV or in a film or sometimes a showreel. Adult performers usually apply to agents a few weeks before they are in a show, inviting them to see them perform. Some agents will now consider applications with showreels. Actors' Yearbook is a useful publication which gives information about how (some) agents prefer you to approach them and whether they will look at showreels, whether they prefer postal or email applications etc. If the agent has a website (and most do, even if it's just a page with contact details) then they will often give some information about how to approach them.

If your father is a photographer then I would certainly make the most of that! Take a look at Casting Call Pro and show him the photographs used by actors on the site. He will then be able to take suitable shots for you. These need to be full face, head and shoulder shots. No hands in shot, no fussy jewellery, not too much make-up and no distracting patterns on clothing. A clear photograph that looks like you! Spotlight gives general advice on photos on their website.

You DO need a professional looking shot if you are approaching agents at the age of 17 as you are approaching them as a young adult performer.

What sort of work are you hoping to get? Are you still in education? How are you currently earning a living?

If you could let me know a bit about what you hope for, I might be able to offer some more advice.
watchthisspace
BRIT Award

Post by watchthisspace »

Whilst it would definitely be a bonus to have professional headshots, just make them LOOK as professional as possible (if your dad has a professional camera, I'm sure you can swing it!).

GOOD LUCK!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Sorry, just re-read your post and I see that you've already said you're interested in MT, theatre, TV and modelling.

Are you currently working? Are you in training or at school?

Just to let you know about me, in case you think I'm talking through my hat (or through anything else!). I work as an actor and occasionally as a director and I have two children - one son in his twenties now working professionally as an actor, currently in a play at NT and one daughter currently studying at RWCMD. I know lots of actors and have seen and experienced the sometimes difficult hunt for good representation from many different angles. I hope that passing on some of that experience may be of some use to you!