Filming abroad/Worries

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

claxon
Nominee

Filming abroad/Worries

Post by claxon »

Hello there!

My youngest dd has just been offered a role in a feature which will involve filming abroad for 3 months. We're all very excited of course, but me and my husband are worried about school work/tutoring/catching up/chaperoning and how all this will work, we've never been in a situation like this before!

The added difficulty is that she's 15 (currently doing GCSEs) and then starting AS levels and we are of course, worried about her missing school- she's academic but needs constant reminders to work, and that's at home without the distractions of a new country etc. Does anyone have experience with long term tutoring while on set, and anyone with kids who've worked abroad for lengthy periods? My husband and I can't take time off work to accompany her, but she will need a chaperone etc.

Anyone with experience please do PM!

Many thanks
puck
BRIT Award

Re: Filming abroad/Worries

Post by puck »

Is your dd currently in year 11? If so she will not need licencing after the last friday in june unless she is not 16 until after this date in which case she will need to be licenced until her birthday. You really need to discuss the details of this contract with the production company because if she does not need licencing they may not provide a chaperon or tutor as she will be regarded as an adult! You mention AS levels so am assuming this is the case. Might it be a possibility to take a year out and start them the following year?
ziggy
BRIT Award

Post by ziggy »

When are you filming? If shes year 11 and filming between june-sep/oct she wont miss any school and will just miss the being of her AS year. And she wont get a tutor if she 16+ so just make sure she get the work she needs, but also see if you work a tutor into your contract. Also over the 3 month period, could you or your husband get a week of to go down there and check up on her (shes only 15/16) and check how her works going etc.

You should ask your agent/producution company.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

If she does end up going, she can also keep in touch with her school via internet. We have had kids, stuck abroad due to the ash crisis, and we have been e mailing them work etc and have been in daily touch. It has made us realise this is possible now in a way it wasn't before.

Great opportunity for her - hope it all works out.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
claxon
Nominee

Post by claxon »

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful indeed. It's a complex situation as filming is being divided into two 'parts' over several months, some in the UK and some abroad. Part the first begins in June, in the midst of GCSEs! We have been told dd will be required for Sept/Oct as well.

The production company will be paying for a tutor and chaperone, even though she will be over school leaving age for parts of the filming. We now have to find two ladies/men who we trust, and importantly dd feels she can get on with!

If anyone has any recommendations please do PM, though production company are providing me with recommendations this week I'm told.

Puck- we're letting dd do this on the condition she continues with school work all the way through, I'm sure she'd gladly take a year out but hubbie and I hoping that def won't be necessary! hoping the school will send over stuff via internet as you say Welshmum.