Problems with agent help appreciated

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

steggers
BRIT Award

Problems with agent help appreciated

Post by steggers »

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can give us any advice. My ds has been registered with an agent for 10 months, in this time he has had only two auditions one of which was an open audition. He truly is a talented little actor so we decided to look for a new agent. We have found a fab new agent who we are really happy with but his old agent is refusing to release him from his contract until August, we had to give three months notice... I should have queried this at the time we signed his contract but I never thought we would have to leave them! Does anyone know where we go from here? He's just a little boy and it does n't seem fair that he can't go for auditions with the new agent for 3 months. Many thanks!
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Re: Problems with agent help appreciated

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

I'm not an expert but on my contract it also says that I must give 3 months notice before leaving my agent. It's a pretty standard requirement I think, and not really that unreasonable. They need time to find another actor to fill that gap, because having an empty spot in their agency means that they have one less oppurtunity to make a profit. It seems harsh, but agents need to get an income too.
I don't really think you can do anything but wait and look for open auditions in the meantime. Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck with the new agent!
steggers
BRIT Award

Post by steggers »

Hi, thanks for the reply, I fully understand what you are saying, but he's not had any work through them at all. They have plenty of money from us for photographs, fees to be seen initially and admin fees. So it just feels a little unfair that they won't release him. Ho hum, I suppose we'll just have to wait until August.
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Can I suggest that you make sure your next agent does not charge up front fees. Ours doesn't, we joined in Feb, my older dd has had an audition and a casting and the younger one two castings and an audition so far, and the web site hasn't even gone live yet.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Good advice from igloobabe, is it a modelling/acting agent he is with at present? I know some of these agencies are reputable but do charge fairly high fees, I would certainly look at one of the reputable ones that don't. We pay for Spotlight and pay a photographer for headshots and that's it. I think length of notice differs between agencies and is probably not unreasonable, could you talk to them and explain or has it gone beyond that? Good luck! How old is your ds?
steggers
BRIT Award

Post by steggers »

My ds is 10, we've been really pleasant with the agency, so we might try and appeal to their better nature. Again it just seems unfair that even though he has n't worked through them they are going to stop him working through anyone else. Maybe I'm too naive lol! I thought maybe because he is only 10, they might let him go and wish him luck for the future! I think I have a lot to learn about this industry lol!!
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

I think most of us have made mistakes Steggers :) I would def go for the pleasant route if it's there, you never know. Lots of luck to you x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

It might be possible to be represented by two agencies during the notice period. This would mean that you would have to pay commission to both agents if any work was obtained during this period but you might think this a price worth paying to switch to the new agent more quickly.
nancyboo

Post by nancyboo »

Just to follow on from pg, with some possible alternative route, which Ive experienced - when we had more than one agent, we only paid commission to the agent finding that job ie; if your agent is not sole representation, sign with the other anyway. You say the first agent doesn't get him any work anyway, so basically you're just keeping them on until the notice period has elapsed. Ensure you have put it in writing and they are fully aware that this is the notice period. Meanwhile, your new agent will find you work and you will pay commisson to them for the work they've found. I think pg suggests this isn't the case with all, so you should obviously check that this is the case with the two you will have, but it is possible, as it was certainly the case for us. Then when the other agent is no more, you have no gap between finding another and you can continue with a career regardless of this unfortunate experience.