mobile phone in the loo

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

elena
BRIT Award

mobile phone in the loo

Post by elena »

My baby son has drown my mobile phone in the loo this morning. :(
Does anyone on here has had a similar "experience" and can advice me if you can revive it and what steps should I take - try it to dry (currently outside) or go out and get the new handset?
Didn`t realise until now how much life depends on it :shock:
Thanks folks!
I am native Russian.

"An ounce of luck is better than a pound of wisdom." italian proverb
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Re: mobile phone in the loo

Post by Nicola »

Oh Elena, sorry to hear your mishap!!!!!

There is hope though - was it turned on or off when it was immersed? If it was off, and you absolutely and completely dry it out - taking apart as many pieces as it's possible to remove (so no chance of water hiding anywhere) there is a good likelihood that it can be revived. Leave it for a few days though in a warm place and don't even TRY to turn it back on until you're absolutely sure that all the water will have evaporated - like I say, at least 3 days.

If it was switched on when it got wet, the prognosis isn't quite as good, but still worth giving the above a try as they are quite water-resistant these days.

Certainly, I've had a phone in the first scenario which was absolutely fine as soon as it dried out, so don't go out and buy a new one just yet!!!!!!
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

Airing cupboard - may take days or weeks! Good luck!
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
kittykatty
BRIT Award

Post by kittykatty »

My teenage son has had two down the toilet because both times he forgot the phone was in his front pocket when he went to the loo (so you can imagine what happened). Fortunately both dried out eventually. A couple of people have since told me that you should put it in a bowl of dried rice, the logic being that the rice soaks up the water but haven't tried it.
titania

Post by titania »

My son works in claims handling for mobile phones and the loo is apparently one of the most common ways to damage a phone. If it was insured call your insurance company.
shortguy
GRAMMY Award

Post by shortguy »

son and I have both dropped ours in cup of coffee :oops: mine was fine when dryed out but his wasnt (mine very much older)
"Never look down on anybody else unless you are helping them up"
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

My Mum accidentally put my ds's ipod through her washing machine when we were staying there once and we managed to revive it. Hopefully you will be lucky too :D
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

shortguy wrote:son and I have both dropped ours in cup of coffee :oops: mine was fine when dryed out but his wasnt (mine very much older)
I dropped mine in a cuppa once and it dried out fine, left it on the radiator for a few days, and I thought I was the only mad one !!!!!!!! :D
DancingQueen191
BRIT Award

Post by DancingQueen191 »

My friend dropped hers in a puddle, and she put it in a jar of rice for a few hours and then took it a part and left it in the airing cupboard for a few days and it was fine!!!! \:D/ \:D/
I can't remember weaather she took it apart before or after she put in the rice though. :?
Does any1 else know?? Anyway her phone was fine, so I'm sure if you dry it out then yours should be fine too! :D
I hope you get it working again and that you don't have to spend a tonn of money on a phone! [-o<
Good luck,
DancingQueen191 :D :D
elena
BRIT Award

Post by elena »

Thank you folks for all your suggestions!
My phone is still outside all steamed up! It was switched on, unfortunately... will try rice though, at the end of the day there is nothing to lose here.
I was thinking the crazy thought though - what if I wrap it up and put it in the tumble dryer? :mrgreen:
Nicola, we are back and I will e-mail to you later, just doing all the unpacking at the moment etc. x
I am native Russian.

Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I did put my ds's phone through the wash and tumble dryer. However, after a day or so in the airing cupboard, it was as good as new. These phones can be quite resilient. Good luck.
All new to me!
sullyandmike
GRAMMY Award

Post by sullyandmike »

I dropped my iphone (switched on) into the washing up water. DH put it in a ziploked bag of rice (fully covered) and then put it in the airing cupboard for a week........works good as new now.

............And I no loger put it in my shirt pocket when washing up.......... :oops:
Take care

Sully x
elena
BRIT Award

Post by elena »

Well, there is a success in drying after all! :lol:
Have decided to put the phone in the tumble dryer wrapped up in the pair of socks :mrgreen: and it seems to do the trick, after 45 min. or so it came out as good as it can be and all the features are still there. Happy!
Thanks once more everyone for all your suggestions! x
I am native Russian.

titania

Post by titania »

Your very lucky well done.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

well done you!!!!! Wouldn't have thought of drying in the tumble - now we all know for next time!!!