Payment of fees

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Nutcracker
BRIT Award

Payment of fees

Post by Nutcracker »

Not sure if anyone can help or advise me on this one. My query is this; on average, how long do you wait for payment of fees. My dd is still waiting for payment for work undertaken last June/November 2009.
janeh
BRIT Award

Re: Payment of fees

Post by janeh »

Hi Nutcracker

Not sure what the general timescale is but after taking part in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang DD was paid approx 8 weeks after the run of shows ended. Hope this helps.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

My ds did some film work and waiting around 4 months for payment - his modelling payments can be anything from 1 to 6 months. I would say that you have been waiting too long, but I only have experience of our agents. Hope it helps a bit!

x
Headliner
BRIT Award

Post by Headliner »

I was paid 3-4 months after i filmed for a commercial. I'd agree in that you have probably waited too long... but then i guess it depends on the status of the project. i.e. whether its still in production or if its aired/airing
"Life's like a play; it's not the length but the excellence of the acting that matters"
mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by mathsmum »

there are 2 pints of delay - the company and your agent - do you know which it is?
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.
Nutcracker
BRIT Award

Post by Nutcracker »

Thank you so much everyone for your replies - I genuinely do appreciate it as I have such little experience in these things :)

The first payment is a film that my dd did last May/June and is due for release next month. The other was last November and was aired on BBC4 about 4 weeks ago.

mathsmum I don't know about the point of delay because my requests for information from our very reputable and well known agent are being ignored and I am starting to feel like I am being a nuisance for asking :(
Headliner
BRIT Award

Post by Headliner »

Hmm, that does seem like a long time. Have you tried getting your dd's agent on the phone? Your queries might not be so easily dodged that way!! I wouldnt worry about being seen as a nuisance as it's as much you employing them as it is the other way round - if not more so!
"Life's like a play; it's not the length but the excellence of the acting that matters"
Nutcracker
BRIT Award

Post by Nutcracker »

I have honestly tried. Email, 2 x recorded delivery letters and voice messages x 3 and I've hit a brick wall.

I can also say that I don't feel that we are employing them. I know of someone who used to come on here with the same agent who had a similar problem and complained and then that child didn't get any more work. It does seem so unfair. My daughter loves the work and that is the sole reason I put up with it, also she is the wrong age so getting work is more and more difficult until she's old enough now to take work without a chaperone. Latterly I have felt that there is no respect for us and it's a shame but we've probably come to the end of the line with them.
julie4travel
BRIT Award

Post by julie4travel »

normally we are paid quite quickly saying that once we had a problem with a payment from bbc and all in all it vertually took a year to get the money
it def was a one off though
Nutcracker
BRIT Award

Post by Nutcracker »

Can I just bump this up to ask for further imput.

I am now sick of contacting our agent and being ignored. :(
Worse still, my daughter has now found out that the children that she was with last year have all been paid for the work earlier this year.

I am at my wits end trying to resolve this. We will be walking away from the agency and will name and shame if we have to but would prefer to retain my dignity and resolve matters quietly and amicably.

Does anyone have any final words of advice?
Headliner
BRIT Award

Post by Headliner »

All i can say is keep hassling your agent. I dont see any other way around it. eugh, it must be so annoying and upsetting! I know you already have contacted them - many times! - but THEY work for YOU and its their responsibility to make sure payment is dealt with and handed over, therefore the only was is through them.

Thats how i see it anyway. Sorry if its not much use! :-k #-o
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Do you have a radio consumer programme in your local area? You could threaten to name and shame them on air if you don't get paid and then contact the programme if you still get no joy. I think their attitude is shameful. My younger dd did 2 castings and the payment for both took a while, but I emailed agent, he got straight onto it and the money went into our account a few days later.
Is it a very large agency?
claret
GRAMMY Award

Post by claret »

Hi Nutcracker
Since you know that the other children have already been paid I would either go to a small claims court and file a judgment against the agency (this can be done online for small fee) , but I would give the agency an ultimatum first that you will do this unless they pay within 7 days. Any reputable company would not want this bad mark against their company name. Or contact the production company your dd worked for to see if they can lean on the agency to pay up. The agency would definitely not want this; they would not want producers to think they don't fulfil contractual obligations.
I hope this helps, it seems amazingly unreasonable that you dd has had to wait over a year for payment.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Nutcracker - probably a stupid question, but when you call them up what do they say their reason is for not sending on payment? Are they trying to fob you off? Are they saying that they've not been paid? What do they say exactly?

If they're telling you they are still waiting for the money from the production company (and you know this isn't true as others have been paid) then tell them that. If they are using what seems like a delaying tactic, then I would agree with Claret, and send a recorded delivery letter telling them they have 7 days to pay, and if payment is not received within that time, you will be applying for a court summons without further recourse for them, which will render them liable for not just the payment, but also the costs and interest. This is VERY straightforward and inexpensive, and will result in a court summons appearing on their doorstep literally a few days later (very satisfying!!) which they will undoubtedly settle in full (plus your costs) to preserve their reputation - unless they are actually in financial trouble of course!

And let's face it - if they're treating you like this, this really is your best course of action as there is no agent relationship left to preserve - you're better off elsewhere where you'll be valued.

This is obviously playing on your mind, so if I were you, I'd make sure you have a plan by the end of the day or the stress will eat you up. Also, if they ARE in financial trouble, the sooner you get in there with a demand, the more likely you are to be one of the lucky ones that gets paid! My plan would be try to speak to them; once you have (and assuming they say they're going to pay), tell them you are putting a deadline on it of whatever day you decide, then write them a letter outlining what you have both agreed and the date by which you should receive your money. Make sure you stress in the letter that if the money is not received as agreed, you will start legal proceedings without further recourse to them (so that they know you mean business). Then put that date in your diary, and if the funds aren't received by then, don't even bother to call them up. just go onto courts on-line and fill out the paperwork. After that the court deal with it for you - it's not as scary as it sounds but it should give them a kick up the backside!!!

As you can probably tell, I'm not one to sit back and let people try to walk over me, and from what you've said I don't think you are either, but if any of the above sounds too scary or confrontational and you want to chat any more about the process, please PM me and hopefully, I can allay your fears. I'm not a lawyer or anything clever like that, but I've used this process loads of times so will reassure you however I can.

We can't WAIT to hear who it is!!!! And as lots of agents read this site too, I'll bet there's a fair few of them that would be interested in their competitor's gossip too!!!!

So make sure you let us know how you get on....
Nutcracker
BRIT Award

Post by Nutcracker »

Thank you all so very much for your help and advise - and thank you too to a certain member who also pm'd me with her mobile phone number to ring - how incredibly kind was that !

All I can say is that it is a very well known agency and you will all have heard of them. I don't want to name and shame as that is not me but if I have to I will and for those that have seen my posts over the years they will know who it is.

The problem is that the answer phone is always on so I never get to speak to them in person - have left several messages as I say - emails ignored, letters unanswered. The only contact I have had is a message to say that my daughter's spotlight renewal is coming up and to send a cheque by end of October. I have been sorely tempted to say take it out of what you owe her but then we can't carry on with them now any as I feel that there is no respect.

On a positive note, my daughter has gained very valuable experience and has 3 interviews lined up with new agencies so hopefully will be able to move on. It has left a very bitter taste though.