Requesting an audition from your agent

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Headliner
BRIT Award

Requesting an audition from your agent

Post by Headliner »

I was just wondering if its the done thing to ask your agent if they can try and get you an audition for a particular project.

Basically i would love to get an audition for series 2 of Downton Abbey, but have no idea of what characters may be casting. I have sent an email to the casting director but is it frowned upon for me to ring my agent and ask them to try and get me seen?
"Life's like a play; it's not the length but the excellence of the acting that matters"
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Requesting an audition from your agent

Post by pg »

I think it depends on what your relationship is like with your agent. If you chat to them often then you could certainly talk about it and see what they say. Your agent works for you, so in theory you can ask them whatever you like! It is a good idea to be able to talk about your career and make sure you and your agent know what your aims are and what you hope to achieve.

To be brutally frank though, unless your agent is in the top ten and/or you are an established actor with a good track record on screen, it is very unlikely that you will be called in for casting for such a high profile show (unless you have very distinctive/rare looks or skills that they happen to need). This is the sort of programme that really well established actors will be fighting over, even for minor roles. There's no harm in talking to your agent about it though. They can tell you a bit more about their experience with TV CDs and what they feel you can do to improve you chances of being seen.
Headliner
BRIT Award

Re: Requesting an audition from your agent

Post by Headliner »

Thanks for the reply pg! (and for the pm earlier this week). I understand that its an extremely popular show, and although the casting director will be bombarded with emails i thought it worth a try.

I dont think i will bother asking my agent with regard to DA, but its good to know for future projects that i might be interested in! Your post was really helpful, and probably saved me from looking stupid infront of my agent, so thank you!!
"Life's like a play; it's not the length but the excellence of the acting that matters"