Actors Webpages

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

charlotterose
BRIT Award

Actors Webpages

Post by charlotterose »

Some people I know have webpages to promote themselves as actors and I was wondering if anyone knew it was worth it, are they useful and how, are they ever viewed by agents/ casting directors if you send links.

Also, I don't really have that much spare money and I am aware that some websites offer 'free' websites, but i was wondering if any NAPM people had used any of these sites and if they were useful and really were free ( I am always very suspicious of 'free' things online :oops: )

Finally, I had heard of and visited the web page for castnet (http://www.castnetwebsites.co.uk) which offered a free package that is 'Free for life', but elsewhere on the site it mentioned a subscription cost after a 30 day trail. I wasn't sure if that was the same thing and i sent them a message which they never replied to, so i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Castnet or any other website design sites and could reccomend a good one.

Sorry for rambling on :D ,
Charlotte Rose
~Acting demands everything.If you don’t give it everything,there will be someone behind you who will~
www.youtube.com/charlotteroseog
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Re: Actors Webpages

Post by Irishdancer »

Not sure if yr own web site is any good have one for ds that I never use if u are with Vergin will already have a web page that u can put things on that is how I get ds, not sure if any other providers have that or not.I paid about £500 for some one to sort out dc web site looks good but I want to move providers and have not done so for the last few years as when I do will lose web site resent that even though I do not use it any more. dose any one no if it is easy to move every thing to another site?
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

hi charlotterose, I've made a website for my dd through yola which is free and I usually put a link to it on applications (especially through the free sites such as starnow) and she has had quite a few hits. We often get references to it at auditions from directors who have obviously looked at her website. You can upgrade on yola for a price but I have found the free space given is enough. If i wanted to upload videos then i would probably have to upgrade but as i put links to utube and vimeo rather than uploading the actual film, it is only the link that uses bites so there is ample room. I dont want to look PUSHY by posting a link on this thread so if you would like to look at her site to see what is possible then pm me and i'll send you the link. I'm a technophobe, but have managed to make it myself, (I'm SO proud of myself!) it was pretty simple.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I have my own website, but I don't promote it all that much and I don't think it's visited much to be honest, though I usually link to it in correspondence/emails etc. I have a few photos on the site, various audio clips and my showreel and (importantly) a link to my Spotlight page. I also have an online presence on Casting Call Pro (which is free for a basic profile). This profile allows you to upload one video and one photo. You can have all sorts of bells and whistles and a "free" website if you have premium membership - though I don't bother with that. I also have my profile on UKscreen (also free) and my agent has my details on her site too. What I do have on my CCP profile is a link to my Spotlight page and this is the single most important web presence I have!

I think the free CCP page and the Spotlight page are enough, but as my partner is a computer whizz I also have a website.

There is no doubt in my mind that Spotlight is the most important page I have, but CCP is useful as you don't have to pay anything (if you are an employer) to search the database for this (and as an actor I don't have to pay for a profile either) - I do sometimes get contacts via my profile there from people who don't use Spotlight. I have to say though, that most of these contacts tend to be offering unpaid "opportunities". I tend not to work unpaid these days ;)
charlotterose
BRIT Award

Post by charlotterose »

Thanks for your advice guys, its all been really helpful! :D
~Acting demands everything.If you don’t give it everything,there will be someone behind you who will~
ziggy
BRIT Award

Post by ziggy »

Which sites would people recommend, (free or paid)?
charlotterose
BRIT Award

Post by charlotterose »

I have just made one on Yola after it was recomended, and i'd also recomend that...

http://charlotteogrowney.yolasite.com/

Its really easy to use and i think it looks neat when its finished... :)
Paggle
GRAMMY Award

Post by Paggle »

I can't quite remember who made it for me, but I have a website, which I find very useful, as I usually link it with emails, letters e.t.c... It's really easy to use and update, it looks really professional AND it's free :)
http://www.wix.com/
Hope this helps :) x