what is wrong with people

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

what is wrong with people

Post by sophiesocks »

just clicked on the new post seeing it was about modelling without reading it properly while my 2yo dd was stood next to me, fortunately i have fast reflexes and switched the screen off quickly, but seriously what can we do?

please can admin pm me my husband runs an it company, there might be something he could do to help
Luckymum
GRAMMY Award

Re: what is wrong with people

Post by Luckymum »

I reported it and I am sure others have as well. That post is one of the worst i've seen on here at first opening it and glad ur 2 year old didnt see it. Hope admin can sort something ourwith your dh to stop a repeat.
Winners never quit and quiters never win xxx

Be Lucky ;-)
Luckymum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Luckymum »

BBB is not online on fb so i will send her a message to get this deleted asap
Winners never quit and quiters never win xxx

Be Lucky ;-)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Golightly alerted me and I have now removed it (and hopefully blocked the user for now by banning the IP address).

I'm sorry I couldn't get to it more quickly. It is dreadful, I agree, but short of having a moderator permanently plugged into the board and watching every post that goes up, I'm not quite sure how it can be solved. I'm sure admin would welcome any bright ideas.

I agree, it was particularly horrible.

pg
busybusybusy

Post by busybusybusy »

Thanks for your vigilance folks ....there are some seriously sick people out there ](*,)
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.
Golightly
BRIT Award

Post by Golightly »

Is there an option to disable embedding images in a post in phpBB? It's not something that's used very often by members, and they can always post a link to a photo (which then everyone has the choice of whether or not to click on it!).
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Several forums I am on when you first join your first few posts are moderated before they show up. Would this be an aoption at all. I appreciate this may take up a bit of time but I wouldn't mind helping if need be and I'm sure other regulars would.

It wouldn;t be foolproff, but might deter the obvious spammers.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

It's perfectly clear that if a forum is worried about computers automatically scouring the web for place to post nasty material, the only way to stop it is to premoderate signups - so nobody can get their posts seen until approved. It's a real pain in the bum - and the forum I run have resisted it - but we're unlikely to attract young vulnerable people, so for us it's not a big problem, just VERY annoying - we get probably 10 autobot signups every night, mainly now from China - luckily ours are sales spam, not nasty spam. We've seriously thought about having to manually approve new signups, and the arguments are always that we want to encourage membership, and stopping people posting immediately does reduce new member count. However, it does stop existing members getting cross. It doesn't actually put too much extra work on the mods, because they have to remove the rubbish anyway - but new signups will drop a bit.

It's a few button pushes away in the admin cp - but turning it on needs a tricky decision. Protect the existing membership at the expense of new membership, or encourage instant signups at the expense of the existing membership.

Tough call?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think I have disabled embedding images so that in future such things should only show as a link..I'm not very technical but think I found the option to do this. At least this means hopefully no one will see these without having clicked on it...Please let us know if you find any though ...just click the triangle symbol to bring it to our attention ](*,)
BBB
Hope Never Dies....
shortguy
GRAMMY Award

Post by shortguy »

Do we get much in the way of instant sign ups - most sign ups usually say they have been reading the board for some time. Seems like the way to go
"Never look down on anybody else unless you are helping them up"