Licence confusion

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Licence confusion

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Little dd will be missing quite a bit of school for rehearsals and performances of a show. Does the licence need to be sorted by the time they start missing school, or just in time for the actual performances? Shows start in a month but they'll be missing school straight after half term and I've not had to fill in a licence form yet.......does anyone know the rules, they baffle me!?!
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Licence confusion

Post by pg »

You are definitely not alone in your bewilderment! It is really difficult to give hard and fast answers as every LEA seems to interpret the rules differently. It is probably worth phoning your own authority and asking them what their take on it is. I tend to ask the question "hypothetically".

In terms of what (I think) the law is for (i.e. to prevent exploitation of child labour and to minimise education disruption) then I would imagine that you do need a licence for any school missed/any rehearsals as the child is working, even if not performing.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Thanks PG, you are so helpful to all us learner NAPMs :D
wonderland
BRIT Award

Post by wonderland »

Great advice from pg.I would also start gathering the paperwork you will need so you are ready to go...Letter from your school giving permission,Passport photos? and sometimes a Dr's letter (depending on Local authority). I think that LA are supposed to process the licence in 17 days. This is a busy time of year for getting a performance licence with many christmas shows and pantos. Good Luck :D
gelert
GRAMMY Award

Post by gelert »

I am surprised the organisers of the show haven't sorted out the licences yet as your dc is due to miss school next week for rehearsals. Every LEA is different, mine sorted out a licence for my dc in 4 working days but I did have everything ready i.e. doctor's letter, headmaster's letter, passport photo etc.,
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

gelert wrote:I am surprised the organisers of the show haven't sorted out the licences yet as your dc is due to miss school next week for rehearsals.
Me too ;) :shock: :shock:

I'm off to get the doctors' letter now....
puck
BRIT Award

Post by puck »

Several years ago when dc first needed licensing for panto I noticed that the licenses only stated time off school for actual performance dates and not rehersals although I had put all absence dates on the forms I filled in. I phoned the LEA to query this and was told they are only concerned with time off for actual performances not rehearsals.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

In my local authority a licence is needed if time off school is needed for rehearsals. In fact for a local dance festival you need a licence solely becasue the dress rehearsal is on a school day. An exemption is issued for anyone who is not involved n a daytime dress rehearsal slot.