Self Taping (again)

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Self Taping (again)

Post by JTBmum »

Ds is one of those teenagers that does not want mum to be involved (unless its buying something or being a taxi service!). He has to self-tape a couple of auditions at home, and seems to think he can somehow prerecord the reader's lines and do it all himself, as he does not want me helping/'being involved'. Any suggestions? ](*,)
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Self Taping (again)

Post by paulears »

If he's the typical youngster, he's possibly even got the software on his computer already. I assume it's going on a CD? Tape scared me for a moment!

If he's ok with computers, as long as the one he is using has a reasonably modern spec, the he could download something like Audacity - which is a multitrack recorder. He would then record the questions, then record his responses. In fact depending on your PC, he could record the questions with gaps, then play that while recording his answers (using headphones) - or he could just chop up the questions, chop up the responses and then edit them together.

The main snag is that he's just become a radio/TV editor - and getting the pauses, the inflection in the voice and the 'life' into the recording will be difficult.

I am very confident with computers and use them for my business - which is all linked to video, audio and lighting - but to be very honest, I'd do it live, and get somebody to read in - the results could be better.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I would think that, if he is confident that this will give him reasonable results, you could just leave him to it. It would certainly be worth him trying it out to see how it goes.

I agree with Paulears that the results are likely to be better with someone reading in the the other lines live. This would mean that he could respond honestly to the lines and wouldn't be anticipating them in the same way. I would imagine that it would be harder to listen/react "truthfully" if you are listening to yourself - not impossible though. The other technical problem I foresee would be the timing of the other lines - a human being (rather than a recording) would be able to be flexible. If he feels self- conscious with someone else reading in though, his solution will probably give him a better chance to give a good performance.
Could he not find a school/college friend rather than asking you?

I can entirely understand not wanting it to be a family member - I know that I find it a hundred times harder to rehearse or perform in front of family than in front of strangers.
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

I'm 18 and I remember that I would never let my Mum read in parts for me - I was always too embarrassed! However I've found that it reeeally is better if you do have someone to read in; maybe advise him to find a theatrically minded friend to help, because if they've been through auditions themselves/are interested in acting then they'll understand it won't be as embarrassing - that's what I used to do!
geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by geordiegirl »

Glad to see this topic rearing its head again as it is clearly the way forward for casting Directors looking to cast their nets wider than London. Self taping is common in USA but it is almost impossible to do single handedly. Second person needs to line up camera, cue in and read (quietly) the feeder lines. Also needs to be just off centre of camera so actor has an eye line (never direct into camera). Good luck xx
geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by geordiegirl »

Just to add to the above. Self taping requires minimal technology. We use a FLIP camera. Very basic and cheap. Most CDs like auditions sent through a website called YOUSENDIT.com. You pay a small annual subscription but this allows easy transit for large files
and agents can download quickly and send on to CD's and directors
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Hi and thanks for that, ds realised after a while he was not going to manage it on his own, so eventually recruited my help. I am wondering if it is always necessary to do an ident and if so can be a separate take to the scene or scenes? Also if the part is meant to be in a US accent should the reader use an accent too? Does it matter if its natural light or artificial? Thanks :D
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

geordiegirl wrote: Self taping requires minimal technology. We use a FLIP camera.
I was looking at these earlier on Amazon and wondered if they were any good. Their review suggested they were good for Mac users but not for PC, and something about some rate of recording (that i obviously knew nothing about LOL). Do you know Is it easy to get the recording off the camera and onto youtube if you use Windows? DS needed to do an audition piece and in the end resorted to doing it to his web cam.

I have recorded vidoe on my still camera but can't fathom out how to transfer it to my PC. The stills were no problem but even when I put the sd card in a card reader the pc didn't see them. Something to do with file types, must read the instruction book, except its not a book any more, its on a cd!

tikka
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

tikka wrote:
geordiegirl wrote: Self taping requires minimal technology. We use a FLIP camera.
I was looking at these earlier on Amazon and wondered if they were any good. Their review suggested they were good for Mac users but not for PC, and something about some rate of recording (that i obviously knew nothing about LOL). Do you know Is it easy to get the recording off the camera and onto youtube if you use Windows?

tikka
I have a Flip cam and don't have any problem saving the recordings to a PC and uploading to YouTube. I don't know how I do it, it just happens really easily when I plug the Flip cam into the PC

Deb x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hi. The ident can definitely be a separate take if that's easier. Artificial or natural light - depends on the outcome really I think. Artificial light needs more expertise to minimise shadows etc probably, natural light may be the easier to handle for someone who is not an expert. As long as the person can be clearly seen, the CD/Director won't be judging the lighting.

Don't worry about what accent the "reader" has, unless it makes it easier for the performer for it to be the same accent. The people watching it will only assess the performer.
geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by geordiegirl »

When we plug the Flip into the computer, a little app comes up which guides you to either e mailing the tape, saving it to computer or direct upload to Youtube or Facebook. It really is very easy to do. We usually tape each scene separately and also the slate and find that natural light works best. We have a room in the house with plain white wall which seems to be a good neutral backdrop. Some files are too big to e mail which is why we use Yousendit.com but these files are only accessible for 7 days. CDs will download and save those they want to show director. Sometimes the agent`s assistant will do it and even edit or splice the scenes together to make it easier for CD to view. Youtube can cope with big files and its supersimple to transfer from Flip to Youtube.

Re American accents, DS was advised to slate in American accent for self taping and if actually auditioning in person for American CD, to conduct the entire meeting in American accent.
geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by geordiegirl »

Me again!
Forgot to mention, our Flip works equally well on family Mac and my old compaq laptop
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

Hi
Thanks for Flip advice.

Feeling a bit dumb here....whats 'ident' and 'slate'?

thankyou, you lovely people.
tikka
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Also noticed some people use something called Vimeo. Not sure how that works.
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

I haven't used Vimeo, but Zamzar is brilliant if there's a clip on youtube and you want to save it onto your computer.

Really handy when you come across a film your kids have been in but you haven't be priveleged to see before!

tikka