Drama school application?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Paggle
GRAMMY Award

Drama school application?

Post by Paggle »

What goes on a drama school application? I'm in year 12 now, so I'll be applying next year, but I'm just wondering if there is any kind of extra-curricular activities or anything that I need to start on, to get ahead? Also, do you have to write your resume on it? I've done quite a bit of work already, but would it help me to try and do as much as possible? Though I want to do as best I can in my studies?
Hope this makes sense?
Please help <3
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Drama school application?

Post by pg »

hi Paggle

It's great that you are thinking ahead and getting prepared. Have you read through all the information on www.ncdt.co.uk ? There is a booklet you can download from there about auditioning for drama schools which gives some useful (but not particulary unexpected!) information.

Every school has a slightly different application process and many of them ask for different things on their forms. Many will ask for details of experience, personal statements, references from someone who knows you etc.

How much experience you have on paper will not greatly affect your chances. Anyone can make a CV look impressive. The fact that someone has played Hamlet or Lady Macbeth in a school production or had the lead in every production at their drama school or appeared with a professional theatre company or on TV/film does not mean that they are a better actor, or that the school will want them more than someone with a seemingly less impressive CV. This is why schools audition people. Don't neglect your studies to try to boost your CV at this stage - there is no need. If a great opportunity comes along that you can fit in, then it obviously makes sense to make the most of it, but don't be too preoccupied with trying to find outside acting opportunities. The drama schools know that studying is important too.

Obviously if you have had no acting experience at all, the school is likely to be a bit bemused - but it would be rare for a total novice to be applying I should think :) .

That's not to say you can't prepare. There are lots of thing you can do that may boost your confidence and skills.

1. See as much theatre as you can fit in (and you can afford!). It doesn't matter what it is, Amateur, Student, Fringe, Rep, Touring, West End - they all have value to you as an actor. It is obviously useful to watch professional actors but you can also learn a lot from amateurs. Try to watch it with a critical/analytical eye. What works? Who do you believe? Do you know why? What moves you? What bad habits can you see? Keep the programmes and try to remember/find out a bit about the people involved in the productions you admire - you are often asked at drama school interviews about what you have seen at the theatre recently. Choose plays you don't know as well as/instead of the familiar ones.
2. Consider volunteering for a Fringe/Arts festival or perhaps at your local theatre if you can spare the time. You will probably get the chance to see lots of shows and talk to actors and directors.
3. Read as many plays as you can. Start your search for good audition speeches as early as you can and learn several - not just the minimum number you need (good practice!)
4. If possible, try to get a bit of improvisation practice in. Some people take to this like a duck to water, others find it very scary. You may have done lots of it in drama clubs/groups and it may hold no terror for you (I was frightened to death of it!).
5. Try to improve/maintain your fitness - the movement parts of auditions are important and if you are physically fit and have good stamina that will be one less thing to worry about. (I am not very fit and have two left feet and I still got in, but I wish I had been fitter when I'd auditioned).

Are you auditioning for MT courses? If so, there are obviously extra elements involved.

As a final note:
One of the most charismatic and remarkable students on the course I did had only ever appeared in school plays before attending drama school.
Paggle
GRAMMY Award

Post by Paggle »

Thank you so much pg!
Much appreciated :)
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Can I also add this website?

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.dunmore/

There is lots of useful info on there including a chaecklist of NCDT schools and their deadlines/requirements (many are very different)

My Dd went through this 2 years ago - best of luck ;)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Thanks for posting that link, Welshmum - that seems to have LOADS of really interesting and useful info on. I have bookmarked it to read at leisure a bit further down the line.