Have I been dropped by my agent?!

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Have I been dropped by my agent?!

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

Hey NAPMers!

Have a bit of a sticky situation on my hands. I've been thinking a lot recently about what I want to do about my agent now that I'm at University. Whilst Birmingham (where I now live) isn't so far away from London that I can't go to some castings, I really didn't want it to get in the way of my studies or disrupt other parts of my life. I told my agent that I was thinking these things and therefore possibly swaying towards leaving the agency, but last month she persuaded me to go to an audition for a short film, simply because the audition was on a Friday so easy to get down for and the filming dates were during my holidays. It was a nice audition (for once!) but I didn't get the job.

I haven't heard from my agent since then, but that's not really unusual - she usually doesn't contact me unless she has an audition for me which can often be months apart. However I was expecting an email in early November because the Young Performers Spotlight update deadline was on the 15th. The 15th has been and gone and my agent has not asked me to renew my account.

Although I don't actually think I would have updated my Spotlight (£88 is a lot for a student!) I just don't really know what this means now. Have I been dropped? I think it's pretty rude that she didn't even consult me, and although I wouldn't really mind if I was dropped from the agency, I would like to know either way!

So just wanted some advice on what I should do next... has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I email her and just ask to leave the agency? Or should I ask her if I can stay in the agency without a Spotlight page, on the off chance that something comes up? Bit confused all round to tell you the truth - would really appreciate some advice!
geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Re: Have I been dropped by my agent?!

Post by geordiegirl »

I could be completely wrong here but seem to remember that if you are over 18, its your responsibility to renew Spotlight and can do it online. Unlike those under 18 where renewal forms have to go via the agent. Might be worth contacting Spotlight or Agent direct for confirmation. I doubt agent would just "Drop" you without contacting you first.
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

Its so easy to worry about this, but the best thing would be to start by looking at your contract with your agent, you should have a copy. It will tell you about renewals etc.

Then phone your agent - just be brave and smiley, and ask if they could clarify your contract with them, Spotlight set up etc. If you don't want to spend the money on the renewal then you need to know whether you need to actually do something about it ie write to them to confirm, or what. Best not to let it drift.

It might seem daunting but best clear up any confusion sooner rather than later.

Good Luck
tikka
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

Geordiegirl, you may be right about over 18s renewing themselves, but shouldn't my agent have reminded me? I'm still in the Young Performers section (it goes up to 20) so I would have expected her to tell me about changes to my membership considering she's always handled it before now... :?

And thanks for the advice Tikka, unfortunately I don't really know where my contract is - I joined when I was 16 and quite oblivious to things such as contracts, but hopefully my Mum will have put it away somewhere, so I'll have a look when I come home from Uni. It is a bit daunting though, my agent kinda scares me! Guess I'd better call her though, wouldn't want to get into a situation where I just don't know whether I have an agent or not! Thanks :)
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Your agent is YOUR agent - they work for you, they get their income from you - they can be good or rubbish - but you need to be in regular contact with them for them to really represent you. People often speak of 'their agent' in the same way I'm in the AA, I hope never to need them, but they're there, just in case. I have a number of dancers at the moment who really hate it when they don't get a pay slip, like their colleagues because they have an agent, and the pay slip (and payment) goes to them, then they get their pay late with some missing. The agentless ones get paid the same rate, and they keep it all. Some with agents also get pretty miffed because their agent didn't even get them the job, yet still take the cut.

If an agent gets you lots of work, rather than you doing it yourself, they are worth it (probably) - but it's a choice. If you haven't spoken to your agent properly, I'd suggest you don't really have one - yet if you earn money, they'll want their share. If you don't need them, dump them!