parents and drama school

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Paggle
GRAMMY Award

parents and drama school

Post by Paggle »

I've recently told my mum that I want to go to drama school after finishing my a levels... And I think she's disappointed in me.
I'm the oldest and 'most academic' of my siblings, and I think she would prefer for me to study something else. I can understand her worry (lack of jobs etc) but how do I show her that this is what I want to do? She's always seemed supportive whenever taking me to auditions and jobs in the past...
Help needed!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: parents and drama school

Post by islandofsodor »

Well most drama schools offer degrees you are just as likely to be unemployed on graduation doing an english degree than a drama degree.
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

Perhaps it has come as a shock to her, she probably expected you to go to uni to get a degree. Us parents are a funny lot!

You could go to drama school and still end up with a degree. Perhaps she just needs a bit of time to get used to the idea.

When my son decided to do acting at college instead of science A levels I was a little bit....not disappointed, just concerned that I felt he was throwing away an opportunity to study A levels that would open lots more doors in the future. Your mum probably feels the same.

I'm glad my son had the courage to follow his heart, rather than follow my head, as he is having a fantastic time doing a subject he loves.

I'm sure she will come round in the end, just be patient and stick to what you want to do!

Good luck
Tikka
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I also had to come round to this idea. My DD studied BTEC in performing arts not A levels - the only one i our family not to do A levels - and is now studying Acting at a vocational college. Her ister had gone to uni, as had all her cousins - I found it hard to come to terms with, I felt she was going into the unknown and entering a precarious business - which, of course, she is. However, I knew this was what she really wanted to do - she proved this to me time after time - and felt she had to follow her heart and give it a go. I am always encouraging young people to aim high, so had to accept her decison. My one condition was that she get a degree in Acting - she will always have that degree (my feeling was that at a push she could always teach).

The irony is that many of my elder DDs friends who had "proper" degrees are now either unemlpoyed or doing low status jobs - a degree no longer guarantees you a job or a settled path.

I would give your Mu time to accept this, show her how much you want it but also how practical and realistic you are. Find out how to get where you want, do your research and become knowledgeable about it. The bottom line is she will want what is best for you, atm your route seems risky. Show her how mature you are by discussing it with her, I am sure she will come round.

She could always come on here for support !
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.