Casting Director

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Janejoyce
Nominee

Re: Casting Director

Post by Janejoyce »

Hi again, I have read through the latest comments and are still baffled by some of this websites opinions Sophie and myself were very happy with the photos we received and they have since secured Sophie several auditions and jobs! The advise on this site goes against Bdiscovereds advise sure, but also the advise of numerous other agents and industry professionals, even other parents! Why would anyone advise a parent to sign their child up for an exclusive contract when that would clearly limit their options in the industry when it comes to getting work! I have previously been offered to sign exclusive contracts with other agents and declined every time, some of the contracts can last years! So when Bdiscovered advised against this I felt they really were looking out for Sophie's interests and helping to move her career forward as much as they can! Are either pg or irishdancer photographers? If so there is no way they would advise people to only have basic black and white head shots done as many know this is not taken seriously at the top end and is really a thing of the past! Also why would hair and makeup not be taken care of on a shoot day!? The make up was not extensive of course due to Sophie's age but the Bdiscovered team still made her look her best and did some truly great work, helping her build confidence and working with her to get photos that casting directors and directors really want to see! I can only assume based on all of this that those making these comments are either personally biased, have no real experience in the industry or are agents and or photographers out for their own ends. Bdiscovered did see Sophie's acting potential before working with her and made it clear they only work with certain people. I am still more than happy with Bdiscovered and shall continue working with them in the future!
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

All the best agents expect there clients to be sole some times a new agent will allow there clients to go with other agents but once they are well established that changes and every one has to be sole represented. When you have more than one agent then trouble is all the agents might put you up for the same part and if you get it through one agent the other agents who put you up might end up trying to get some of the commission so could end up haveing to give 3 agents commission. Still 5000 are a lot of clients The only agents that really let you join lots of agents are extra agency's where most of the time you have to be with lots to make any money. The oldies on here like me and PG and a few more have a lot of experance I 36 year old started doing modelling/acting when he was 8 so I have 29 years experance I this business so between use we have a wealth of knowaldge between us so until this agent changes are minds we will advise people on here to give it a wide birth
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I am not an agent or a photographer - nor am I offering advice for my own ends.

I'm an actor and the parent of an actor. I also occasionally direct and have been involved in casting. I know some casting directors and agents.

I have been involved in the industry for a while and know some very experienced industry professionals.

No one has to take my advice of course, but sole representation is the industry norm for actors' agents for really good reasons.

No, decent agents don't lock you in to long contracts -that's nonsense.

I would love to know which industry experts advise against sole representation for actors. Anyone who knows how casting works in the industry will understand why top agents insist on it.

It is common for SAs to have multiple agents. It is also fairly common for actors to be represented by different agents for different bits of the industry (eg voice over) but not for acting.

I have not advised anyone to have only black and white head shots - just to look at industry professional head shots (and yes, the industry is moving towards colour) and compare them.

Some of the shots on the site are embarrassingly bad.

Ask Spotlight for advice about photos if in doubt.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

All the agents I have had dealings with have ALL been sole representation. DS agent works very closely with him and knows exactly how he ticks. I think this kind of relationship is essential in putting a client forward for the appropriate roles. As far as make-up is concerned, I was lead to believe that the photos you used needed to show you in a true light as you really look and not hidden by make-up. Most people have both colour and black and white nowadays anyway. DS is with CAM so if you look them up you will see how they display their clients. I think they are fairly representative of a good agent.
All new to me!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I'd like to make it clear that the opinions expressed here (by me ;) ) are my opinions. They're not the website's opinions. This is a forum where individuals can give different opinions -and often do :lol:

If you search my posts, you'll probably get a clearer picture of my general views on the industry and will see that I offer advice an opinions (which people are free to ignore) on a number of subjects.

I have given opinions on B Discovered because I disagree with the advice they appear to be giving to inexperienced , aspiring actors.

Do take a look at the books I recommended if you'd like to find out more about how casting works.

It's not the first time I've been accused of having some kind of ulterior motive when I've pointed out some industry facts.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

pg - I think you have the ulterior motive of allowing those of us entirely new to this world to benefit from your experience and wisdom as gained over two generations. You're an endless and generous resource and - along with many others - what makes this website so valuable. Without it, I wouldn't have had a clue, and I don't doubt that my son wouldn't have been in Matilda, Billy Elliot or the NYMT. Please continue to share your experiences and insights.
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

I just wanted to add how much I value the thoughts and opinions of the many posters on this forum, and pg who has responded on so many many topics and also to my pm's despite never having met me. When I post I am looking for all views so I can go into anything as eyes wide open as possible. Infact the "negative" comments are frequently the most enlightening, although we all love a happy end. Thanks all
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Thank you lollypop and TalyaB :D :oops:
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Janejoyce wrote:... they have since secured Sophie several auditions and jobs!
Congratulations to Sophie (and to you for helping her to achieve success). If you don't mind me asking, how old is Sophie and what auditions and jobs has she secured? Is there any experience you can share with other NAPMs to help us navigate our DCs through the world of performing arts?

Many thanks

Deb x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I've deleted my post for the time being as Jaynejoyce may wish to respond to Deb's question.

It was about sole representation and why it's better for actors than non-exclusive arrangements - but was rather long :oops: and rather monopolised the thread.

I'll put it back some other time probably :D - or stick it elsewhere on the site.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Jane Joyce ....forgive me if I'm a little sceptical however you have only ever posted two times, both times to big up Bdiscovered.
You write in a style that is in many ways similar to that posted by Bdiscovered and read like a newspaper ad for them
Please accept my apologies If you are a genuine Mum to a performer who happens to think Bdiscovered is everything she ever wanted for her daughter - I'm afraid I am cynical by nature but happy to be proven wrong.

My gut feeling is you are connected to Bdiscovered in another way...
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Janejoyce
Nominee

Post by Janejoyce »

Why have you got it in for Bdiscovered Irish Dancer? I can see why PG would say what they said in those post's as from their point of view they were trying to help and may be deeper into things. Why would you keep this thread going as I have read back through it? Frankly it looks like an "axe to grind" I have come on this thread with good intent as a mother for my daughter who is 10 Debs by the way and has had a number of auditions with Bdiscovered, whose owner is a mother and who I connected with as she set it up for her sick son a fact most people know is part of their ethos. Indeed I do like to write and do so for business as a PA I was trying to be transparent for the kids and mums on here, my daughter has been in performance since the age of three. Now my brother who is an actor- now in the states who has been exclusive contracts as well as non-exclusive which he is in now he has sampled both sides and many of his actor friends have helped my practical understanding of the business as many actors do not make money or are not in production regularly. Exclusive contracts from what I have come to understand work for people who are already established such as The Independent talent agency or the PMA based agents which is big league and that those especially children should be in non exclusive contracts when they are starting out that is what we are talking about I hope! They need to be free to explore not be locked in to exclusive contracts, and experience auditions and success and build their confidence. To answer your question Debs, Sophie has had a Disney audition for a new TV production; two commercials and an audition for the new Ryan Reynolds film where they were looking for his daughter we had the brief, what to expect and where to go and the sides to the Disney script and we were talked through how to get through the audition and what to expect Sophie felt good and in fact did better than I expected! She has gained experience and seemed popular with casting people I believe mainly on her looks the photos did her justice as she has pretty in coloring and I guess as a mum I am proud, of her as this is her dream. I haven't dared show her this site and don't know quite how I got into this discussion as it seems overly aggressive on Irish Dancer behalf! Emotional and contrite so forgive me if I don't get the motive... I have only replied for those other mothers, not just because of BDiscovered who have been right for Sophie but to dis spell the negative staunch stance on here- as the minuet I post and later come back Irish Dancer is back and scares me! I didn't know about IMBD it seems it serves in America for my brother and no agent or casting director I have had the privilege to chat with uses it, only if your a celebrated success that's not us yet Sophie I hope makes this her career. 29 years seems a long time I have climbed my corporate ladder and done well in the corporate world and would love to know what productions role and accolades have been attained in this time and whether there is evidence in the words or an just emotional tirade of negative. I liked to think of myself as a strong career women who wants the best for her daughter I would like to think that's what the other mums would like too ! I hope this helps other people that is why I came on this site!
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Post by cupcakephoebz »

Hello JaneJoyce,
I do not have nearly as much experience as the likes of irishdancer or pg but due to various reasons, i know several well known casting directors. After reading this i decided to ask some of them there opinions, they have all said that the best agents are all exclusive. I have come across bdiscovered before and to be honest never heard anything positive. I am happy your daughter has done so well but i must defend irishdancer whose opinion i greatly trust.

Cupcake
One day everyone will make it, but for now I'm still waiting http://www.starnow.co.uk/phoebespence1
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Janejoyce wrote: Sophie has had a Disney audition for a new TV production; two commercials and an audition for the new Ryan Reynolds film where they were looking for his daughter we had the brief, what to expect and where to go and the sides to the Disney script and we were talked through how to get through the audition and what to expect Sophie felt good and in fact did better than I expected!
Well done to Sophie! It's good that she has enjoyed her auditions and I wish her success.

Pg, Irishdancer and other NAPMs are very experienced and always share their views honestly. I have benefitted from their advice over the years. I don't think they have an axe to grind.

Deb x
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

Hello Jane Joice, I think everybody is welcomed to share their experience and their opinion in this website. We come all from different backgrounds and for some of us English is not the first language (which is my case for example). Sometimes I do realise that because of this we write in a manner which doesn't allow many nuances and at time might sound a bit too straightforward but as long as we are honest and not voluntarely offensive everybody did show a high degree of tolerance.