Please tell me about NYMT and YMT..

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mummyaud
BRIT Award

Re: Please tell me about NYMT and YMT..

Post by Mummyaud »

Empathising with those receiving disappointing news, we know well how that feels. We have been fortunate and my daughter has a recall for "The other School" so we are delighted. Good luck to everyone still to audition. xx
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I can't go with DD tomorrow (too much homework) so DH is taking her

I am SO nervous
changemystory
BRIT Award

Post by changemystory »

Thanks for starting this thread Hecouldshine; it really helped DD in deciding to audition, sorry to hear it's a no this time for DS and for your child too Begolina. DD has had the thank you for coming but..response many times too. As you say " next"... And the family holiday is safe at least Hecouldshine.
DD has also been fortunate this time and got a recall for Whistle down the Wind which she is thrilled about. She really enjoyed the audition day; I think they try to make it fun for everyone and she had a ball.
DD sang Castle on a Cloud from Les Mis as did another girl before her and probably some others sang it too! I suspect it doesn't matter what the song is so long as you bring piano music and avoid backing track and it's a musical theatre number, age appropriate and sung with conviction.
Good luck to those with auditions still to come and for those with recalls too xx
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Hi Lindy7

My dd has been recalled for the the other school and wdtw, she is 11 and sang " the girl I mean to be" from the secret garden not what what she had prepared for this audition (she was going to sing different from honk) but she had sung the song recently made the decision as they said they wanted something shorter.

They said that is was quite an old fashioned choice, but a good one. ( her words not mine )

Good luck to your dd x

Dd also really enjoyed the day as a stand alone experience so it seems a good experience for all :D
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

begolina wrote:It was a no for us as well, never mind.... next!!!
That's what I should have said - the NAPM catch phrase! Sorry about the no begolina :(
Mummyaud wrote:Empathising with those receiving disappointing news, we know well how that feels. We have been fortunate and my daughter has a recall for "The other School" so we are delighted. Good luck to everyone still to audition. xx
So pleased for your dd Mummyaud =D> =D> =D>
changemystory wrote: DD has also been fortunate this time and got a recall for Whistle down the Wind which she is thrilled about.
Fantastic news changemystory, I'm so pleased - good luck for the recall. Thank you for those words :D :D
Livvyvicky wrote: My dd has been recalled for the the other school and wdtw,
Well done to your dd Livvyvicky =D> =D> =D>
Oooh this is getting exciting all these NAPMers with recalls already, and only one w/e of auditions done. Good Luck all especially Lindy 7 and katymac's dds

Lets us know how your dd's audition went Katymac. Is this the one for the YMT salsa sister's production?
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
lindy7
BRIT Award

Post by lindy7 »

Hi Livvyvicky

Many thanks for your best wishes DD auditioning on 26th Jan for NYMT and YMT 20th Jan she got YMT last year but would really loved to do NYMT now although her experience of YMT was amazing!!!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Yes - but they say it will be 2 months to find out :(

I'm not that patient :roll: DD is most cross with me

She had a great time & did fine with the dancing, but was more concerned with the singing & acting
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

Hi
DS is thinking of trying for the YMT , they have spaces still for this sunday (well we only just found out about it!!!!) - he is a good actor but not so hot on singing and dancing. I see that mostly the shows are musicals, but one of the shows is looking for actors.

I don't think you have to take a song to do, sounds like its group singing and dancing, which he may be OK with.

Are they reallly only looking for singers and dancers or do they accept people just to be actors? Would it be a complete waste of time going if you aren't a brilliant singer?

Also, if you get through are you then going to have a pay a lot of money for the training, shows etc?
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

Hi Tikka

My dd has done YMT for the last 3 years, and I would say it is mainly singers they are looking for. You are assessed in all 3 disciplines and I think it is a total score that will get you a 'yes'. Dancing is possibly less important for some shows, but it may be different this year with the 'film' option. You don't need to take a song but they will teach you a song and you do have to sing on your own. The auditions are great fun and my dd is going to Leeds this sunday. :D :D
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikka »

Thanks.
Tikka