Please tell me about NYMT and YMT..

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Please tell me about NYMT and YMT..

Post by Hecouldshine »

I see audition dates are out for both these and as applications are open for YMT auditions already we have to plan ahead :?

Ds thinking about auditioning for next year. He has never tried for either before as the last 2 years he has done English Youth Ballet. He is 14 and a strong dancer especially. He has 8 years of part time stage school musical theatre training and 7 years ballet and tap. His voice has just broken but the new voice is good, so far, and he has odd singing lessons and is quite experienced with singing solos in theatre and at auditions. Which does he go for? Does he go for both? How do they differ? Is one harder to get into than another? Is NYMT more for the older younger people?

I originally thought he could do the NYMT audition and then go for YMT if he didn't get NYMT but it looks like the auditions all go on simultaneously through Jan and Feb so that won't work. What do others do/plan to do?

From what I can tell from the websites it looks like there must be more places on YMT so maybe better odds for getting in?
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Please tell me about NYMT and YMT..

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

I think it's worth going for both. The workshops are fun and not bad value for a day and it gives you options...
I
the mumster
BRIT Award

Post by the mumster »

I can only speak for YMT which my dd who is 12, did last year (Tess of the D'Urbevilles) directed by Gerry Flanagan.

She had the most wonderful time and was very well looked after. Even though all of the other participants were older than her (up to 21 I think) this made no difference in the size of her part - everyone gets to participate fully and everyone makes very close friendships. The standard of the production, a lot of which they wrote themselves during the workshopping period, was absolutely astounding - as good as anything you would see from a professional company, especially as they only have 2 weeks to write and rehearse the show. Just be warned about the cost - my dd has already started car-washing and dogwalking to earn enough to go again next year (if she is lucky enough to be chosen)!
Its the posh, posh travelling life, the travelling life for me ......
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Never even heard of this before - wow

http://www.youthmusictheatreuk.org/inde ... &Itemid=55 would be perfect for DD.......Salsa!!! But she is too young :( I wonder if it's worth ringing to ask if she really is - as her skill set is perfect!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

With YMT you don't get to choose the production to go for, they audition you and put you in the one they feel is appropriate but could always put loads down about latin dancing on the form ( and wear fake tan for the photo ;)lol) and that may nudge them in the right direction!!!
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

TotallycluelessMum wrote:I think it's worth going for both. The workshops are fun and not bad value for a day and it gives you options...
I
Thanks TotallycluelessMum. From what I can tell you get a 2 1/2 hour workshop audition with YMT. What do NYMT do for theirs? Can't quite work it out from the website :?
the mumster wrote:I can only speak for YMT which my dd who is 12, did last year (Tess of the D'Urbevilles) directed by Gerry Flanagan.

they only have 2 weeks to write and rehearse the show. Just be warned about the cost - my dd has already started car-washing and dogwalking to earn enough to go again next year (if she is lucky enough to be chosen)!
Thanks mumster. So do they get a 2 week residential course and performances for that Ginormous fee?
Katymac wrote:Never even heard of this before - wow

http://www.youthmusictheatreuk.org/inde ... &Itemid=55 would be perfect for DD.......Salsa!!! But she is too young :( I wonder if it's worth ringing to ask if she really is - as her skill set is perfect!
It does sound right up your dd's street Katymac :D

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

TotallycluelessMum wrote:With YMT you don't get to choose the production to go for, they audition you and put you in the one they feel is appropriate but could always put loads down about latin dancing on the form ( and wear fake tan for the photo ;)lol) and that may nudge them in the right direction!!!
DD is mixed race!!! So not a problem

She does 2 hours of Salsa a week and is a competitive Latin dancer (National Finals in half-term at Blackpool)
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

The NYMT audition is an extensive workshop too singing, dancing, improv... 3 hours I think (but dd didn't do last year so my memory is a little hazy!)
She said it is always fab and they also do recalls ( in London, no charge) which YMT don't tend to do.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Katymac your dd sounds perfect for it!!!

For all considering Summer courses...

Can I also throw 'The Company' into the mix. Also national auditions, very high standard, they did 'Into the Woods" last year at the Lowry in Manchester, DD was involved and loved it, up there with NYMT and YMT in her experience.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Owww I don't know if I should tell her about it & risk them not even considering her because of her age or if I should phone/email & ask if it's even possible
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

My dd's thinking of applying for Y MT this year. She's 14, never done Latin dance but would love to have a go. There's also a contemporary dance one. She currently only does ballet (can't fit tap and modern into her timetable until after Christmas).
Just don't know if she should do a ballet summer school or do something totally different for more experience (she's going into Advanced 1 after Christmas, but already takes 3 Advanced 1 classes a week, 1 advanced class plus 2 Intermediate classes and pointe classes plus Youth Ballet Company).
She did 2 summer schools this year - 1 for Elite dancers which was a mix of dance and the other in Musical Theatre and she started having singing lessons in September (working towards Grade 5) - neither was residential and both local to us so not very expensive.
She does want to audition for ballet schools at 16, but I also think having fun is important too.
Well, I guess if she auditions and doesn't get in then there's always ballet summer schools :D
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Silly question; but how much is it?
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

TotallycluelessMum wrote:Katymac your dd sounds perfect for it!!!

For all considering Summer courses...

Can I also throw 'The Company' into the mix. Also national auditions, very high standard, they did 'Into the Woods" last year at the Lowry in Manchester, DD was involved and loved it, up there with NYMT and YMT in her experience.
Had never heard of the Company before but it sounds really interesting. I like that YMT and The Company aren't south-east based.
JayLou62 wrote:My dd's thinking of applying for Y MT this year.
Just don't know if she should do a ballet summer school or do something totally different for more experience Well, I guess if she auditions and doesn't get in then there's always ballet summer schools :D
Ds loves English Youth Ballet but not worth doing next year or he would end up doing Swan lake twice - and he understudied the older boys' dances this year. Hence looking at a musical theatre course like your dd :D
Katymac wrote:Silly question; but how much is it?
Deep breath :shock: :shock: Over £1000 . But we paid that in hotels, cottage hire, expenses and fees for EYB by the time we added it all up :roll:

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

That's not too bad for 3 weeks - I was thinking much more
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Well I emailed & got this reply
"We always say that it is a worthwhile experience in itself to audition with us. The auditions are not a typical experience in that the young people are taught material and given an extended time to work with leading practitioners. Therefore I would say it is certainly worthwhile her auditioning.

Whilst I cannot confirm what show she is likely to get were she to be successful in her audition I would say that she is certainly not too young to be considered for Salsa Sisters as that cast will have a very broad age range."