Mind-boggiling Conundrum

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

notanaveragejoe
Nominee

Mind-boggiling Conundrum

Post by notanaveragejoe »

Hi, I am 17 yrs old and I am facing a possible dilemma.
I am an aspiring Actor but instead of going to Drama School, I want to go to University & get a degree while doing Acting Classes (unless i get a massive feature film role)
I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so if Acting does not work out, I'll have something to fall back on.
Here's My Problem: Next week I got an audition for a commercial which would pay £180 if I filmed it, an additional £180 if they decided to use my version online & an additional £180 if they use my version on TV. (Their gonna film many people in the roles) HOWEVER filming takes place on the 2nd of September which is the day my Internship with Freshfields Bruckhaus Design (international Law Firm) which is an incredible opportunity that thousands of people applied for but I was one of twenty people lucky enough to get. What do you guys think I should do? The Internship would look great on a CV and would help me create links but the commercial is a miniscule role (I probably won't even recognize the commercial) but it's still paid.

What advice would you give your DD's?
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: Mind-boggiling Conundrum

Post by Flosmom »

Focus on the internship.

The commercial isn't paying all that well. Fees for commercials are usually significantly more. And you'll spend the money very quickly, so it's not a brilliant investment of time energy effort or money, whereas the internship should open doors for the future.

But (theres always a 'but') you can always go for the audition to keep your options open. Shoot dates can change. And they might decide not to cast you. But they might want you for something else.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ignore me if it doesn't.

Deb x
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Same for me. Other opportunities will come your way but the internship sounds like a gift. Best of luck with your choice.
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

Another vote for internship :)
Dwafffamily
BAFTA Award

Post by Dwafffamily »

I think you'd be absolutely crazy to risk the internship for what is a 'maybe', please don't do it!!
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

Definitely go for the internship.
That internship will count for a lot more in the long run!
letitshine
GRAMMY Award

Post by letitshine »

Internship :D
jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Post by jollyjelly »

Internship. Please don't sacrifice that opportunity for something that is very minor in everyway. U know it makes sense :)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

internship without a shadow of a doubt !
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Go for the internship - they often see hundreds for commercials and have call backs so you have to get through two rounds of that before you 'might get filmed, and might get shown, the ad is a MIGHT the internship IS. No competition! Well done on getting chosen for the internship, future acting jobs will not depend on whether you do this ad or not.
siohip
GRAMMY Award

Post by siohip »

No brainer for me..........internship! well done
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Think you might be getting the picture by now! Internship definitely.

Commercials are a lottery. Would you forgo the internship so that you could go the shop and buy a lottery ticket? :D

Although it sometimes feels like it, there is never only "one" opportunity in acting - and commercials are very rarely something that advances a career. I agree with Flosmum that the money is VERY low too.
notanaveragejoe
Nominee

Post by notanaveragejoe »

Thanks for all the replies, I guess its pretty obvious what I should do. I need to think of my future and not the present and the Internship will turn out to be more useful in the Long run. :D :D :D
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Enjoy yourself, have a great time and more opportunities will definitely come your way. I doubt this will be the last. X
mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by mathsmum »

nothing to do with this dilemma - but are you applying for unis in london, which will give you much more flexibility in combining studying and acting/acting classes
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.