Theatre tour

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Fr19
Nominee

Theatre tour

Post by Fr19 »

I'm off on a 10 week UK tour tomorrow, I know I'm really lucky to be working so soon out of drama school but I've suddenly got really nervous about the whole thing. I think it's the idea of living out of a suitcase for 10 weeks and the fact I won't meet the rest of the cast I'll be with for the tour until rehearsals start tomorrow and so forth. Any advice about tour life etc? Thank you!
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Re: Theatre tour

Post by francescasmum »

Congratulations, =D> =D> great and exciting times ahead. You'll probably be working on adrenaline for the first week or so and it isn't too long a run to get too exhausted but try to keep in mind how you felt after the initial exciting first few weeks of uni/drama collage and bear that in mind. Make sure you rest well, take time out to relax/chill and eat well and drink plenty of the right stuff! So don't party too much and have a fabulous time.
Learn from everyone (what not to do is as important as what to do), who knows whose watching!! Have a fab time :D
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Is it one of those tours where you mainly go back to base at the end of each performance? Or are you moving round the country?

Either way, you'll probably find you are not the only one who is apprehensive. I've done a couple of long tours - one was a fantastic laugh from start to finish, though very hard work (get-ins an get-outs /loading and unloading the van every day as well as performing) - the second one was...ok. It does depend a bit on who you are thrown together with and it can get slightly claustrophobic. In my experience, the company or stage manager can make all the difference.

I do think you need to work quite hard at eating well/properly - and you will need patience sometimes (as will your fellow actors). Little things can become annoying - especially when everyone is tired. The rehearsal period is a time to get to know one another as people though - you may end up with very close friends.

Wishing you all the very best!
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

You'll ace it - if you need a home cooked meal near Hertfordshire, let me know x
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

Sounds like exciting times ahead! Very best of luck, and just keep smiling! (unless the role is a serious one!)

www.starnow.co.uk/adambeaver
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Have a great time. I haven't been on tour, but I have travelled a lot and lived out of a suitcase in difficult conditions, so here's my two penny worth.

The advice about eating well and sleeping well is worth it's weight in gold. As is maintaining personal hygiene (as if you wouldn't!) no matter how tired or rushed you are. I learnt that one from a special forces guy whilst climbing a mountain.

Be organised - managing your limited supply of clothing in your crazily tiny suitcase is essential. You can't just grab another outfit from the wardrobe, so folding things and putting them away is a good routine to get into. If you leave something behind, the chances of being reunited with it are pretty slim. I learnt that now while travelling round Ecuador on a bus.

Personal relationships can get strained. The motto 'if you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all' is worth keeping. That way, you don't get drawn into cliques or other people's fights. Keep smiling, pick your battles carefully and rarely, remember that you'll get to choose who to keep in touch with at the end of the tour. Friendships forged through shared experiences are precious indeed! That's just what life has taught me.

Have fun, but stay safe. You've been to drama school so you'll probably have worked out what your boundaries are when it comes to alcohol and other substances. Stick with them. It's OK to be the one that doesn't, but it's a good idea to practice some coping strategies so you don't get put under pressure. That's from my day job.

Make up your mind to make the most of the experience. A positive outlook will take you a long way, but if you need help, just shout out. Someone will be able to help.

Let us know how it goes

Deb x
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

I am reading David Jason's auto biography at the moment, very insightful. Though he is famous for some terrific roles on TV he actually spent a number of years in the West End and in touring theatre which most people don't realise. He tells a great story and one of his re-occurring things is how people he has met in one job have helped/hindered him getting another on many occasions.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I think what you are feeling is all completely normal. Once you have met the rest of the cast and the ice has been broken, you will start to feel much more comfortable. My DS went through a similar situation when he flew out to rehearsals in the USA knowing nobody. They are now all a very tight knit bunch. They have rehearsed the show so much now that they are all excited about their first performance at the end of the week. Have a fantastic time and congratulations.
All new to me!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Are they organising accommodation and transport or are you having to do that yourself? That's the pain for me - I hate picking addresses from a digs list - having it provided by the production company is so much nicer. I have had some terrible places. The one thing I stopped doing was any job living on a tour bus. I hated it because they were always smelly and trying to sleep with people the other side of the curtains who wouldn't be quiet made me never do it again.

It can be great fun, especially once you've made friends with the others. For your first one - I guess however awful it is, looked back on - you'll think it brilliant!

I think the thing to spend time on is getting a regime going so you have enough clean clothes. If you are travelling with a wardrobe department, check to see if they are the helpful type who let you use spare capacity, or the ones who ONLY do company costumes - leaving you with had washing/launderette or the landlady's washing machine if you're in digs.