Meeting with Head re Time Off

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Jennyattheloft
Nominee

Meeting with Head re Time Off

Post by Jennyattheloft »

Hello

My daughter is due to start secondary school next year. She has been modelling for about a year and is with G&G and this year got signed with MJM for acting work. My eldest daughter goes to the local secondary school which is where we would like the youngest to go. We wrote to the head explaining what she does and how well she is doing. She is above in all her subjects and her primary always allow her the time off.

Ive heard back today that the secondary head would like us to go in for a meeting. Gulp... I have asked the primary to write a letter for me to show him saying how it benefits her and that her work is not in any way suffering. I will also arm myself with all the legal bits re legislation etc. Is there anything else I can or should do?

thank you
Jennyattheloft
Nominee

snookienoo
BRIT Award

Re: Meeting with Head re Time Off

Post by snookienoo »

We approached the head teacher last term of my ds's new secondary school.
We were totally honest about how much ds benefitted from his acting but that we were also concerned about his schooling. We told him that we would only take ds out of school for good opportunities and work with the school to ensure he didn't fall behind.
We just went there and were upfront with our expectations. Of course he will no longer take time out for modelling in school hours but acting stuff we will discuss. I think you have to be able to appreciate their point of view and getting the most positive outcome.

I guess it also depend on the head teacher! My eldest ds's head teacher said no to all time off for acting.
Good luck x
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

There have been lots of posts on this subject. Other NAPMs have done some astonishingly good research that would stand you in good stead for your meeting.

So, as you are new here, I'd advise you to put the kettle on, put your feet up, and read through the threads. You'll find lots of advice and experience that more than repays your time.

Good luck - let us know how you get on

Deb x
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

WendyB
BRIT Award

Post by WendyB »

Hope things went OK at your meeting Jenny. Any more news?

We are in limbo at the moment, waiting to hear back from the school so I'd love to hear how it went.

Thanks for the link TalyaB. I will read that now.