Has Any One Been To Lithuania?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Has Any One Been To Lithuania?

Post by Irishdancer »

Just wondered what it is like and what sort of food do they eat? What is there cerency? I have applyed for a card if I take sick can go to the doctors with if I'm I'll. Should I get travel insurance as well? Only going out on Saturday and coming Monday.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Has Any One Been To Lithuania?

Post by paulears »

Me again!
Not been but a friend used to live there - she's Russian. Your EU health card is valid for treatment in the big cities - but in the sticks you might have to pay something for treatment - imagine only having a private dentist available and no NHS one like here in the UK. Although like the UK, they're in the EU they don't take euros, so you need to get local currency Litas- although bigger places in the cities will probably take dollars or pounds. Credit cards are fine, but if you intend using them and don't travel often, phone your credit card company and tell them where you are going so they can ok your purchases - there are quite a lot of on-line fraudsters in the old Russian territories so a UK card being used for the first time might not work!

My friend says english is widely spoken.

Water in the cities is ok to drink, but bottled is probably safer if you have a delicate tummy. electric is 220V, so your UK stuff will work - but most outlets are two pin round, so an adaptor is sensible to take with you.

Their history of communism means that the national dishes tend to be soup, or potato based - and stews, but now they're westernised the cities are pretty much like us. However - they do have McDonalds!

Last thing Travel insurance for you both is extremely sensible - I'd not risk going abroad anywhere without it - because at least you can get home, and not have to worry. I've got an annual one with the Post Office, who are pretty good and cheapish - and they do short trip versions too.

By all accounts pretty safe country, just watch out for the usual tourist crimes - pick pockets handbag snatchers etc - but my friend says it's safe to be out in 2s or more in the busy places.

Hope that helps. P
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

As someone who advises on travel health and vaccinations, I also know a bit on insurance companies..
Your E111 will only cover you for the most basic treatment, it doesn't cover extended treatment or repatriation should God forbid, you be in a car accident, fall down stairs or anything
You MUST get insurance
I have seen far too many disasters of this kind including a recent RTA in Eire that has resulted in the family selling their house to pay bills.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Griffer
GRAMMY Award

Post by Griffer »

My advice - ALWAYS TAKE TRAVEL INSURANCE - FULL STOP
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Thanks for both your replys. I don't have to worry about ds insurance will be taken care for him by production company. I was 60 in March can any one recommend a travel insurance company, I am only going from Saturday to Monday so want a travel company that is not going to cost me a lot of money.
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

If you go on MoneySavingExpert.com and look up 'travel insurance' there is lots of really good information about which policy would be best for you and links to the companies selling them.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

It might be worth checking whether you get travel insurance as an add-on to your bank account, credit card account, household insurance, car insurance etc etc. if you do, check the Ts and Cs carefully because sometimes the exclusions are a bit tricky.

Hope this helps

Deb x
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Post Office insurance you can do on the spot over the counter aswell as online - if you like to be able to do and have the document to hand straight away. Starts from less than £3 a day and their standard policy goes up to age 64. There's a declaration form to sign for any medical conditions/medications you are on but you do need to phone an 0800 and get authorisation/approval if you cannot sign for any reason. Had their policies in the past for family holidays (we tend to book last minute and hence want the document straight away without having to wait on the post) but never had to claim so cannot comment on how reliable/good/co-operative they are or aren't.

Definitely do not travel without insurance.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

The post office medical disclosure is easier than before. I had 3 operations on my shoulder, and I had to declare these last time and got a letter saying it was fine. This time, I called the number AFTER I paid, as the website suggests, and this time they weren't interested in my shoulder at all - the only questions were about my heart - I've never had any problems there, so didn't have to do anything at all.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Hello Irishdancer,

I've sent you a pm. :)

Hope it helps.